FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last
    "Hold on... let me Google that for you." LOL. I just answered my own question:

These products are a part of our line of sword-and-planet adventure products blending science fiction and traditional fantasy in an interplanetary epic that will take your characters to whole new worlds of adventure. Drawing from the pulp sci-fi tradition of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Jack Vance, and their contemporaries, this adventure saga spans exotic worlds filled with alien races and ancient secrets, as the heroes must confront interstellar conspiracies and unravel long-lost mysteries if they are to save the galaxy from annihilation, or even just find a way home. The Legendary Planet Adventure Path includes the 1st-level prequel adventure The Assimilation Strain and the following adventures: #1: To Worlds Unknown (2nd to 5th level) #2: The Scavenged Codex (5th to 7th level) #3: Dead Vault Descent (8th to 10th level) #4: Confederates of the Shattered Zone (11th to 14th level) #5: The Depths of Desperation (15th to 16th level) #6: Mind Tyrants of the Merciless Moons (17th to 18th level) #7: To Kill a Star (19th to 20th level)
    https://www.makeyourgamelegendary.co...endary-planet/

Quote Originally Posted by Zenspeedstr View Post
    I am part of the Friday group that lost our GM. I'd like to play, if there's still room. I'm unfamiliar with the Legendary Planet setting-- is it kind of Pulp SF like John Carter & Flash Gordon?
    Hey Zen...is the Sunday option one you could do? Looks like Trueshaft is flexible and it would allow Azsamael to play. Since we haven't hear from some of our Friday crew yet, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Sunday nights would be harder for me to swing-- getting old, and 4:45 am Monday morning seems to get earlier every year. Not trying to block Azsamael-- just trying to realistically gauge my eagerness to play in that block. 11 EST is only 10 CST, so I might be able to make it work if we finish more or less on time. I know some gamers in RL I might be able to recruit, too. I still haven't heard back from Reaver-7. It sounded like Mgrancey was interested from his response in Discord the other day though.

Doing some thinking about character creation, and I thought I'd post some questions for DMReckless:

• Do we have enough players? How many players do you consider optimum?
    • You want to run bi-weekly? Do you have a starting date in mind?
    • Can you give us more information about the setting? Will it be based on Pathfinder/Starfinder? (ie, humans, dwarves, elves, etc all came from Golarion), or some other setting like Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk (or even "Earth?")
    • Will there be any new/alien races available to us for characters?
    • Will the game be set in a present-day Fantasy Setting like Spelljammer, or will it be in the future of a Fantasy Setting, like Starfinder?
    • What source books are we allowed to use in character creation? Savage Worlds ('natch). What about the Fantasy Companion, or the Super Powers Companion?
    • How high-tech will the campaign be? Will we be using blasters or bows? Should we invest skill points in things like piloting, computer usage, and engineering? Or should we focus on High Fantasy type skills?
    • Will there be starship combat? Or will the action mostly be on the planet's surface?
    • What magic system will you be using? The standard spell point system as presented in Savage Worlds, or something different/homebrew?
    • Will we be allowed to create characters with powers that aren't magic-based? For example, mutants or psionicists?

• Do we have enough players? How many players do you consider optimum?

We have enough players. I enjoy a group of 3-6

• You want to run bi-weekly? Do you have a starting date in mind?

Bi-weekly, yes. I was thinking April 27th or the 4th of May.

• Can you give us more information about the setting? Will it be based on Pathfinder/Starfinder? (ie, humans, dwarves, elves, etc all came from Golarion), or some other setting like Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk (or even "Earth?")

The adventure can start off pretty well anywhere you can have a backwoods logging town. While there is a gnome npc featured in The Assimilation Strain, reskinning is easy and the adventure could just as easily be set on Earth, Golarion, Greyhawk, or Shaintar. My recommendation would be either to set it on Earth (I’m digging the idea of a “Gaslight” start to the whole thing) or Shaintar if people would prefer a fantasy start to things.
    • Will there be any new/alien races available to us for characters?

The potential to pick up members of new races during the campaign will be there, should PCs die, but the initial group will be based off of whatever world we’re starting on.

• Will the game be set in a present-day Fantasy Setting like Spelljammer, or will it be in the future of a Fantasy Setting, like Starfinder?

More Flash Gordon and John Carter than Star Wars or Trek.

• What source books are we allowed to use in character creation? Savage Worlds ('natch). What about the Fantasy Companion, or the Super Powers Companion?
    Savage Worlds, of course. Possibly Shaintar or Fantasy Companion. I’d consider Super Powers Companion if we started off on a pulpy earth. Perhaps. I would alternatively consider using Suzerain (maybe even pitting you against the Lich Queen
    series after the campaign if this works out that long.)

• How high-tech will the campaign be? Will we be using blasters or bows? Should we invest skill points in things like piloting, computer usage, and engineering? Or should we focus on High Fantasy type skills?
    The default setting is more bows and slug throwers than lasers but some high tech stuff makes an appearance, and there’s definitely a bit of pseudo-science here and there. Given the stated preference to move more away from standard high fantasy and more towards pulpy, I’ll likely up the ray guns quota.

• Will there be starship combat? Or will the action mostly be on the planet's surface?

Mostly surface/subsurface in a variety of environments. More airships than spaceships. Interstellar travel through gates not by hyperdrive.

• What magic system will you be using? The standard spell point system as presented in Savage Worlds, or something different/homebrew?

Either the standard. Shaintar’s, or Suzerain’s systems.

• Will we be allowed to create characters with powers that aren't magic-based? For example, mutants or psionicists?
    Definitely open to Psionics, super powers a potential if starting on earth.

So, I see a few options here:

A) Start on Shaintar, using the races and magic systems of Shaintar as our base system.
    B) Start on “Earth” (preferably “Gaslight” time era.) with the PCs as “Doc Savage”/low power supers.
    C) Start on Golarion or similar world using Fantasy Companion.

More disclosure: the version I am converting is the Pathfinder version, as Pathfinder is the ruleset I am most familiar with. Being from Legendary Games, it assumes a certain amount of use of both Legendary Games’ Mythic companions and Psionics, so the Pathfinder version features some of those rules. There are “Mythic Trials” and Mythic Tiers with specific abilities granted to help every character be able to adapt to and survive on the various worlds. Suzerain could fill in a good “Savaged” version of this, but I’m also willing to adapt it to Super Powers Companion instead. While I am using the majority of the ideas and concepts, settings, etc. from the adventure path, I expect I will have to adapt to Savage playstyle, and while I’m doing that I might as well work it towards the “Pulpy” feel we’re looking for (much of it is already there as this was designed as a “Sword and Planet” adventure series.) The later chapters include mass combat and things like that that Savage does very well too.

Feedback is more than welcome at this stage, and I’d like to make it a game everyone is interested and invested in playing, so please speak up with questions/concerns/ideas like these.

I personally like the idea of option B-- starting on Earth as low powered pulp supers. I was a big fan of Champions/Hero System back in the day, and I see the Super-Power Companion as a continuation of that sort of system. I love the flexibility of characters you can create. Not thinking "Flights & Tights," but Doc Savage/John Carter/Flash Gordon type of Pulp characters. Starting in a "Gaslight" (30's/40's Noir) setting would also give us a clear idea of how to shape our characters.

That having been said, if you don't want to adapt the material for Savage Worlds, I would also be okay with just running it as a Pathfinder campaign. I've never actually played Pathfinder, but I played a fair amount of 3.5e back in the day.

What do the rest of you guys think?

As far as starting dates are concerned, I will be on-call from May 2nd through May 8th. We have a second and third shift now, so I *probably* won't be called in, but I could. But if the 4th turns out to be the best launch date, go ahead and set to start then. I should at least be able to start the game that night, and if I get called away somebody else can play my character and I will catch up on the following session.

I like option B as well, but I'm also good with just about anything.
    Fan of Castles and Crusades/Savage Worlds, just about any rpgs.

I am in Eastern time zone and am fairly open most play times, but do prefer Evening or late night games.

I'm all for B too. See how easy we are? No experience with Pathfinder but however is easiest is fine with me. Start whenever works. First session will probably have to include some extended character creation for me though. I don't have all the modules to put together a Pulp SW one.

Alrighty, option B it is. I definitely want to go with Savage Worlds as I think it has a better feel for pulpy adventures than Pathfinder. I've wanted to do the conversion for awhile, and I think you can get more done with SW during a typical game session. The conversion is pretty easy with the help of Zadmar's Stuff. I'll post some more info soon on character building notes.

Thread Information