DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Red face Starting my own publishing business, FG Friendly

Hello everyone.

It is a looong time since the last opportunity I've had to be logged on FG Forums – my life is running on light speed; at least, this is how I feel for some time… lol. Anyway, for various reasons I decided to start my own business as a RPG content producer. I invested a couple of bucks on mapping/cartography software, in a Wacom tablet, and a bunch of courses in areas of expertise in which I have a lack of knowledge.

And, this week, I started to build my first module under the Red Crow Pub label: Saltjern Hul Valley. Rather than an adventure, this module will be like a “mini campaign setting”, and it will bring the following things:

- An Area Map showing the region of Saltjern Hul;
    - An Area Map showing in detail the Saltjern Hus village, with keys for the most important areas;
    - A small Floorplan Map for each one of the four mines you can see in the main map;
    - Descriptions of all the keyed areas, containing features of the area and important NPCs who can be found around, in a system agnostic way;
    - Adventure seeds and conspiracy ideas you can develop for this area;
    - Description of two exotic traditions of the people living in the area;
    - A lot of names based on Danish Language, and all of it packed in a nice PDF File and Fantasy Grounds Module.

Since this is my very first commercial module, I intend to “sell it for free”, using a “pay what you want” model. This way, people can have a taste of how my products will be without spending money but can also give me a reward in case they really like it. For the PDF file, I am intending to use Drive Thru as my sales platform – however I am not yet sure where I can put the FG modules for sale.

Here are some teasers of my work in progress (if you become interested, you can follow the news in my FB page, while my site is under maintenance/rebuilding proccess). Any comments, critics and tips are welcome:

FG-Teaser.jpg Saltjern-Hul-Teaser.jpg Saltjern-Hus-Teaser.jpg Introduction_Saltjern-Hul.jpg

Great art. Is it from an Campaign Cartographer annual, or self made?

Quote Originally Posted by Targas View Post
    Great art. Is it from an Campaign Cartographer annual, or self made?
    Hi, Targas.

The art if from the new default style of CC3+ (it comes with the base product). However, I am using Photoshop to tweak things, since there are some things (like text) CC#+ isn't good at. =P

Blog Entries
    Nice. Are you building that all directly in FG or using the old hand coding of xml?
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Galach View Post
    Hi, Targas.

The art if from the new default style of CC3+ (it comes with the base product). However, I am using Photoshop to tweak things, since there are some things (like text) CC#+ isn't good at. =P
    It‘s been awhile I used the default overland style. Thanks for telling me. It reminded me being Mike Schley stle, though. :-)
    The last overland map I did was using Herwin Wielink style. For Text, CC 3+ isn‘t that bad. The ToUM gives you some valueable ideas. You can e.g. draw text along curves. Maybe you want to raise the castle abit on a hill, having it so close to city houses? Bridges would imply streamlined travelling leading e.g. to open plaza‘s like market places. Just a suggestion, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnarGreybeard View Post
    Nice. Are you building that all directly in FG or using the old hand coding of xml?
    For this module, I am building it directly on Fantasy Grounds. First, because this a a short module, second because I am creating the text in Word (and I am still deciding if I will pass it trough Scribus or MS Publisher), and it is just a meter of copy/paste things, so I id not judged it worth the trouble of messing with XML...

It‘s been awhile I used the default overland style. Thanks for telling me. It reminded me being Mike Schley stle, though. :-)
    Well, right to the point - this style was created by Schley, and I had chosen it just because of that: it remembers the WotC official maps and I thought to be a good idea to put together something with a familiar look since I am just starting

For Text, CC 3+ isn‘t that bad. The ToUM gives you some valueable ideas. You can e.g. draw text along curves.
    "Isn't that bad" sums it up pretty well - it is also "not that good"... lol Yes, it is possible to place a flowing and beautiful text right in CC3+, but more often than not, it is matter of try this, try that, until you get the desired result with effects and placement, so it is time consuming to make it just right. And even doing it right, if you are using TTF fonts, the CAD engine sometimes will not render the text in the exact way you drawn it, making it a bit larger or smaller in the export process. In Photoshop, I know exactly what result I will produce with each tool, and the process is much more organic for me.

IMaybe you want to raise the castle abit on a hill, having it so close to city houses? Bridges would imply streamlined travelling leading e.g. to open plaza‘s like market places. Just a suggestion, though.
    These are great ideas, and I loved them! I will try to work in those changes later today. Thank you very much!

Looks great, Galach! It is, unfortunately of no use to me as I don't play 5E, but if you do a Pathfinder Version, I could definitely be talked into throwing a few bucks at the project!
    Two roads diverged in the woods and I, I took the one less traveled, and that has made me hopelessly lost!

Blog Entries
    Be aware, if you are going to distribute through the DMsGuild you don't need any licensing agreements or anything. But, if you want to distribute through any other outlet, you need to contact SmiteWorks ([email protected]) to figure out selling your products through their store or licensing for selling through some other distribution channel.

Good luck

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Righ View Post
    Looks great, Galach! It is, unfortunately of no use to me as I don't play 5E, but if you do a Pathfinder Version, I could definitely be talked into throwing a few bucks at the project!
    Don't worry, Erin. I am building it on CoreRPG and since I will not rely on rules in this module, it will be only a mater of tweaking the XML file to have things working on both rules systems.

Thread Information