STAR TREK 2d20
Page 5 of 9 First ... 34567 ... Last

to go with what damned said about the autosave...

Quote Originally Posted by st4lk3r87 View Post
    I have more questions. Do you inspect the DB.xml everytime? How do you force an update of the xml file?
    db.xml is checked on load of the widget.

in OBS there is a setting to refresh a source, and that will cause it to check the db.xml again. or you can use the setting "shutdown source when inactive" or something like that, i forget the exact wording, and when you click the eyeball to disable the source and click it again to enable the source, it will check the db,xml again.

shouldnt need to be refreshed often, only when you have some character update like characters level durign stream.

people earlier asking about the HP bar, there is a separate thing i am working on for HP bars that check the db.xml every 6 minutes and displays an HP bar to update HP as quickly as the db.xml autosaves... but that is no where near ready, and if the autoupdate of the stat cards were added it could attempt to read the db.xml while FG is trying to autosave and cause a conflict since it takes a minute to read all the data in about the characters, as opposed to just reading in HP and wounds.

you can see in the video how long it takes the widget to load and read the db.xml for just those 5 characters.

so it is possible to automatically reread the db.xml, but currently it is set for manual by reloading the source in OBS to force a reread of the db.xml each time the widget loads.

i am sure some python script could be written as an extension of OBS to make it manually reload the widget every so often, but i dont work with python and that would require someone else to create a script to reload a source in OBS.

everything seen on stream would exist only in RAM of OBS as the widget, when OBS is closed it is gone, and the widget will load and create the cards again the next time OBS is opened or the widget is visible.

I like to see a tutorial, to make this cycler in obs, anyone has a link to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by yako2020 View Post
    I like to see a tutorial, to make this cycler in obs, anyone has a link to do it?
    it isn't ready yet. When it is ready it will be as simple as putting it in your campaign folder and adding it as a source to OBS, then resize it using OBS to fit where you want it in your overlay, just like any other source.

while i dont mind discussing streaming in general like helping answering those questions to Bidmaron, to explain how to use OBS, well that would need a new section on the FG forums for "Streaming FG" where other people can contribute to tips and tricks of how to use OBS, XSplit, GameShow, Bebo, etc. as there is too many streaming software packages to get into here in this thread.

Even techniques of using OBS is beyond the scope of this thread, since it is just adding a source to get the widget to work. If you don't already know how to add a source to OBS, this widget isn't going to help much sadly.

If there becomes a place for streaming related topics on FG forums, i will gladly share them there, but otherwise its all over the internet how to use OBS in general since so many people use it.

EDIT: here is the OBS overlay tutorial on the FG forums.
    Last edited by shadzar; September 19th, 2018 at 01:43.

widget.jpg

so is this the base layout people would like?

mlesnews gave a few ideas

but i need a best case people would like, to design this thing up.

tested fully with a empty game save with 2 characters both assigned, so the portraits are working again...

i just need to know the most popular layout, and most wanted stats.

Remember, dead/unconscious PCs will show upside down image, and there will be room for ONE social media per player in an extra file that will have to be manually edited.

social media file EXAMPLE:
    Code:
    social media,name
    twitch,Rob2e
    twitter,@FantasyGrounds2
    within OBS you would be able to resize and scale just like anything else. so the only thing i need to know right now is the style of layout people would want most. after purchase (more details to come about that in the future), people will be able to reconfigure for personal use whatever stylings they prefer.

so get to Paint, Photoshop whatever to give me an idea, and if you can't draw character portraits, then a stick figure in place will be fine so i know what is what the section is.

widget.jpg

updated to include the social media, and upside-down-dead portrait.

Blog Entries
    Looking promising. My concern with your layout is that it takes up a lot of space. i.e. lots of dead space in the bubbles and such. mlesnews' layout is pretty dark, but it's much more condensed.

Though it's probably pretty rare that their are more than 6 players, I would make sure their is room for at least 8 player sets without going to a 4k screen.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    make sure their is room for at least 8 player sets
    not sure what this means... ??

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/328897115

Blog Entries
    I see, I forgot that it cycles through the different player characters. I was thinking it would put displays/windows up for each character simultaneously. Size isn't that important then since their is only one of them.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

size wouldnt be important anyway since OBS allows you to stretch things with or without aspect ratio.

Though you have given me an idea to use mlesnews idea as a static thing to display all at once, but like a BRB screen. so i will go with the large one for ease of use, and try working on a portrait "business card" sized character display for showing more than one at once.

that would give time during breaks to save the campaign so the newest data is in the cycler widget from recent events during game, and when it reloads the cycler in the normal scene once the BRB has ended, it would have the up-to-date info on it.

that will come after since it will take a near total rewrite, so may get added at a later date to the cycler.
    Last edited by shadzar; October 29th, 2018 at 22:39.

Thread Information