Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

BTW, OP, if you are not aware, Mutant Crawl Classics might help you get your dose of radiation

Yeah, I'd still have to wonder why the largest publisher in the world - Penguin Random House - would do business with (and even host their titles) on such a shady platform. Guess their legal department is not up to snuff like the random people who post on reddit are...

Scribd, Piracy, and Why You Can’t Always Believe What You Read Online

I mean, the government even sued them a couple years ago because they weren't ADA compliant. I guess the government wants to make sure that the disabled have access to illegal content as well... (Instead of shutting them down).
    Last edited by Andraax; March 11th, 2018 at 01:25.

Blog Entries
    The validity of the bulk of their content, agreements with publishers, a subscription model etc does not mean that all content on scribd is legally permitted to be there.
    I have many times found content on scribd that has no valid license.
    If the ip owner does not challenge the content being on scribd and does not do it according to scribd's required format then the content will stay.
    The Wizards would see content ad have it removed quickly.
    The rights holder to a long out of print product may never become aware of the infringement or may not have the time or will to challenge its availability on scribd.
    That does not validate the content being there.

The original distribution rights for TSR (Wizards) Gamma World stuff was Penquin Publishing in the US, and Random House in Canada. The two publishers have since merged. Penguin Random House is a publishing partner with Scribd. So, I would assume that any Gamma World titles on Scribd are there legally, with the knowledge of the IP owner.

That’s a big assumption, and I wouldn’t take that bet into court.

We try to do our best to follow laws and do good by our publishers. We don’t police, unless it’s FG content.

Cheers,
    JPG

Well, all I got to say at this point is that Scribd has been taken to court - several times - and the result has always been the same; charges dismissed or the complainant dropping the suit. The only one they settled was the ADA one, where they had to provide their services to the disabled. Even the two class action suits against them were dropped. So, either they're doing nothing wrong, or they have a legal defense team that's better than the legal teams at the largest publishers on the planet...

Oh, and as an aside, similar claims were brought against Amazon back in the early 2000s. Just because random people make claims on the Internet doesn't mean they're actually true.
    Last edited by Andraax; March 11th, 2018 at 04:49.

Blog Entries
    Charges/claims can be dropped for various reasons.
    They can be dropped for cost. They can be dropped because a settlement has been reached. They can be drooped because an undertaking has been agreed to.
    Hopefully scribd are better at their jobs today than they were in the past and hopefully they continue to get better.

As to Gamma World - it was uploaded by the following user: https://www.scribd.com/user/27386068/The-Lyon

Looking at the other content uploaded by this entity I would suggest they are not acting on behalf of either of those publishing houses. I would suggest they do not have the legal right to upload that particular piece of content to scribd either legally or by scribds terms and conditions. Of course - these are assumptions on my behalf.

Why is this thread here at all at this point?

It's like we're saying it's ok to post pirated materials sites as long as we argue about it.

Well, I can see both sides. The OP would have gone to a legal source to purchase if there had been one. On the other hand, an IP owner has no obligation to publish his material (at least that I know of).

It sucks that folks have to police the entire internet to protect their rights, but this is not a new phenomenon. The US Navy regularly conducts freedom of navigation exercises to sail through excessive offshore claimed water that is not in accordance with international law. This is because if you don't do that, the waters eventually become the property of the claimant.

In most states, a landowner has an obligation to protect his land. After a varying amount of time, a squatter can claim the land solely because the property owner failed to evict the squatter.

The point is that what Scribd might be doing is not that unusual in the world of property, both real and intellectual. I am not defending any of this, just saying it is not very unusual. Even real property can be legally stolen by someone in most of the world if the owner fails to enforce his rights.

Thread Information