FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 27 of 37 First ... 172526272829 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Have you double checked the GM computer IP address and used this to you enable TCP port 1802 to forward to your GM computer? The IP address can change, so please check what it is now and that this matches the port forwarding on your router.
    Would you mind pointing me in the right direction for instructions on this? I was able to connect just fine so something in my settings or router must have changed. Thanks
    Time Zone - Mountain Standard
    Looking to Play
    Looking to DM- considering doing some AL stuff in FG

For specific instructions, please provide the make and model of your router.

From a basic standpoint, this is what you'd need to know:

- When you configured port forwarding in your router you'd have needed to tell it *where* to forward the port 1802 traffic to. This would have been the IP address of your computer (probably something like 192.168.0.100 for example).
    - Since then your computer could have obtained a different IP address.
    - To check your computer's current IP address there are different ways depending on what operating system you're using. In Windows 10 for example you could click on your network icon in the system tray (down by your clock), click on Network & Internet Settings, click on Ethernet and then click on your Network. This should show your IP address. For more explicit instructions we'd need to know what operating system you're running.
    - Once you've determined what IP address your computer has now, go back into your router and look at the port forwarding settings. Ensure your port forwarding rule is pointing to the computer's current IP.

For instructions on port forwarding for your router: find your router make/model and look for that here: https://portforward.com/router.htm
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I think I figured it out. Thanks. I may need some help giving my PC a static IP - but that is for the future.
    Time Zone - Mountain Standard
    Looking to Play
    Looking to DM- considering doing some AL stuff in FG

Okay, so I finally figured out the whole story when it comes to setting up FG to always have 'Success!' when running the Connection Test on macOS. I have this documented so that others don't need to go through the same frustration I did.

1. First thing we need is to find out what your computer's IP address is; this is basically the 'location' of your computer in your network. We do this in macOS by clicking on the Wi-Fi icon in the task bar

and selecting 'Open Network Preferences'.

2. You'll wind up with this screen:

Whatever method you're using to connect to the internet, Wi-Fi or Ethernet (or electric camel, I dunno), you will need to know your current IP address. That is found here:

This will be in the format of a quadrapartite number, separated by periods, such as xxx.xx.x.x. THIS NUMBER IS VERY IMPORTANT! WRITE IT DOWN!

3. Okay, now we need to assign what is called a 'Static IP' to your computer. The short of it is that, whenever you have a device that connects to your network, it has to find an opening to squeeze into, so it'll do a quick scan of what 'locations' are available. The 'location' of any connected device is determined by the last number in the IP address, which corresponds to the last 'x' in the example I just provided - for sake of absolute clarity, it is the 'x' in bold here: xxx.xx.x.x.

Now, the reason we want a 'static' (or 'fixed') IP address is that connected devices like to switch addresses for various reasons, like if a device isn't always connected to the network. A good example of this would be your smartphone; you connect it to your network to minimize your data plan usage, but once you're out of range of your network, it connects to a satellite, leaving a 'hole' in your network, which the next device that connects to your home network will fill. This is what's called a 'dynamic' IP address. It changes as needed, and for Fantasy Grounds, this is the main problem people have!

4. More than likely, your Mac will be set up 'Using DHCP', like this:

But that's not what we need; this means that your Mac can (and likely will) change its IP address when it 'needs to', which will cause problems with FG connectivity. We need to make sure that the address doesn't change...and we do that by choosing our own address! You need to click on the 'Configure IPv4' box, and change it from 'Using DHCP' to 'Using DHCP with manual address'.

5. Remember that number you wrote down? Well, here's where we'll need it. You will need to fill in your IP address EXACTLY in this box:

So, if your current IP address is 192.168.0.1, you would fill in 192.168.0.1. This will basically tell your router and modem that your computer is to always be at that address, and not to switch it up. Basically, it's a reserved parking space for your Internet access. Click 'Apply', and you're done setting up the static IP!

Caveat:. There are circumstances when you might not want to keep your current IP address, in which case, you can choose any number from 2-200 for the last number. For example, you might change your new address to 192.168.0.127.

6. Now that that's done, we can move onto Port Forwarding. What we're doing here is opening up a very specific hole in our computer's firewall/router that will allow FG to communicate effectively - kind of a carpool lane type of thing. We'll need to go to the AirPort Utility, which is inside macOS' 'Utilities' folder, which you can reach by hitting ⌘⇧-U on the desktop. Open this app:

7. You'll be shown a window with your router (in my case, 'Daniel's AirPort Time Capsule') and the Internet depicted by icons. Click on your router:

and click the 'Edit' button on the window that pops up. Click on the 'Network' tab, as shown below:

Last edited by DoubleDanGaming; July 1st, 2017 at 14:59.

8. You'll reach this screen. This is where the payoff is.. Under the section labeled 'Port Settings', you'll see a '+' symbol next to a '-' symbol. Click the '+'.

This will bring up the following screen:

The red box is where you need to type in the IP address of your computer. You can enter whatever you like into the 'Description' box, but as shown above, the 'ports' boxes need to have '1802' entered - this is the port that FG will make use of to communicate. Once that is done, click 'Save', and when that window closes, click the 'Update' button highlighted here:

Once your router restarts and you can confirm that you have Internet access, open FG and test your now-successful connection!

Hopefully this helps prevent the frustration I went through!

Dan

Sweet, good job on the clear and concise writeup! Also welcome to the forums and FG community in case somebody hasn't already welcomed you!

This thread needs some clean up. I would suggest possibly a new thread with the opening post being a check list of trouble shooting steps and solutions.

Would anyone be available around 8pm central USA time tonight to go over this setup? We got FG running on another player's computer but it won't work on mine doing the exact same steps.

I am still unable to connect. 127 pages of issues and there still isn't a streamlined way to set this app up?

Thread Information