DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Connection issue with players on same network

I can't figure out what I am missing. I DM a group and we meet in person but a few of the PC's connect to me using FG. We have had no problems at my house or my friends. However, we are at a new location and I can't get it to work.
    Everyone can connect to the internet and FG and update etc. no issues there.
    Port 1802 is forwarded to my (DM's) laptop from the modem and FG gives me a green success when I test it.
    When players try to connect to me, they can not.

We are all connecting wirelessly and the wireless router is plugged into the modem that has the port forward on it.
    When i go to canyouseeme.org, it fails to see me.

What am I missing?

If they're on the internal network, are they connecting to your internal IP address?

Also, some routers will not allow wireless clients to connect to other wireless clients unless a setting is changed.

They connect to the alias..... do you know what that setting is?

Don't use the Alias - use the local IP address of the GM's computer.

And welcome to the FG forums!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarroll22 View Post
    They connect to the alias..... do you know what that setting is?
    The alias is for users connecting from outside your network. Also, the port forwarding is only needed for users connecting from outside your network.

I can tell you the setting if you have an ASUS router. The software for different routers is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    The alias is for users connecting from outside your network. Also, the port forwarding is only needed for users connecting from outside your network.

I can tell you the setting if you have an ASUS router. The software for different routers is different.
    I'm going to try tonight with the local IP. Will post if it works or not. We have always just used the alias. The router is a D-Link and i just read that it has this feature 'also includes a wireless client isolation mechanism, which limits direct client-to-client communication'.

Blog Entries
    welcome rcarroll22

You will need to turn off wireless isolation.
    You should also really try and get the GMs connection on to a wired connection - you will have a lot of collisions with the GM and Players on the same Wifi.

When connecting to a GM over the internet use the Alias or Public IP address.
    When connecting to a GM on the same LAN use the Internal IP address.
    When connecting to a GM over Hamachi use theHamachi IP address.
    When connecting to a GM who is on a PureVPN connection use the VPN IP address.
    When connecting to a GM who is using the Putty/SSH port redirect use the VPS IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarroll22 View Post
    I'm going to try tonight with the local IP. Will post if it works or not. We have always just used the alias. The router is a D-Link and i just read that it has this feature 'also includes a wireless client isolation mechanism, which limits direct client-to-client communication'.
    Connected to the local IP with no problems. Thanks guys.

Thread Information