5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Guess what? Another connections problem message

Hey all,

FG has been working great for months. No issues. Suddenly, three days ago, I started getting connection failures. I have worked through the (very helpful) messages and posts on the forums, and tried all the various recommended remedies, but with no luck. Clearly I am missing something. Hoping someone with a little more technical expertise might be able to lend a hand.

Welcome to the forums Ghuulk and sorry you've suddenly started having issues.

Hopefully it's something simple that's changed.

To start, please run a Windows command prompt (assuming you're on Windows) and type the following: tracert 8.8.8.8 and press return. Post the results here please. This will help us get an idea of your network architecture and if maybe there's been a change from your ISP's point of view.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sorry. I should have done that up front. And yes, its a Windows machine.

Here ya go...

1 8 ms 3 ms 2 ms hitronhub.home [192.168.0.1]
    2 15 ms 28 ms 20 ms 173.35.184.1
    3 43 ms 45 ms 13 ms 24.156.149.45
    4 25 ms 18 ms 52 ms 209.148.233.217
    5 34 ms 30 ms 57 ms 209.148.235.137

I bet your router restarted or had to assign a new IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuulk View Post
    1 8 ms 3 ms 2 ms hitronhub.home [192.168.0.1]
    2 15 ms 28 ms 20 ms 173.35.184.1
    OK, this is good - your ISP hasn't suddenly shared your Internet IP address.

Login to your router (192.168.0.1) and check to see if the port forwarding for TCP port 1802 is correct - i.e. it is pointing to the current IP of your FG GM computer. If you're relying on UPnP (Universal Plug-n-Play) to automatically do this, check the UPnP settings - i.e. it's enabled and if it lists current devices check to see that it is showing the IP address of your GM computer.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hey there, and thanks for the fast response.

Router/modem port forwarding looks good. Matches up with FG computer. UPNP is enabled (doesn't list devices).

MacAfee shows open for FG, with correct port, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I would restart the router and try again.

Did you make any changes to the router in the first instance to make it work?
    The only thing I had to do in the first instance was set up the port forwarding, and that is still up and enabled. I tried a router reset the other day, and started from scratch. No change.

Blog Entries
    Do you remember if you did an update for FG before the problem started happening. Sometimes the update convinces your anti-virus program that FG is new and the one that appears on the list no longer works.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    Do you remember if you did an update for FG before the problem started happening. Sometimes the update convinces your anti-virus program that FG is new and the one that appears on the list no longer works.
    There was definitely an update recently. I will try deleting the old permission and creating a new one in McAfee, and see if that works.

Thread Information