Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by chiquit View Post
    Yes, my video card drivers are most certainly up to date, as well as all other drivers and the BIOS for good measure. Given that it is a Titan video card, I'm sure the card itself isn't out of memory, so that would mean the video memory for that particular process is maxing out. However, in this scenario, it should only be that that application crashes. Why would it BSOD the whole system? Further, what does Chrome have to do with it? As I stated before, it ONLY crashes when I have a browser running too.

I'll push this on to the other GM, as well. It's an extreme sad shame that we can't move on to x64. This would dramatically improve the speed of the application and remove these artificial RAM limits.

All said, the original issue still stands of why does it BSOD the system ONLY when I have a browser (Chrome, Firefox, etc) open as well?
    Did you get a minidump at all? I can try to look at a BSOD mini dump or two to see what the cause might have been. Usually they're in %SystemRoot%\Minidump. Send me a PM if you have anything like that and I may be able to give it a shot.

Blog Entries
    Hi chiquit

The game engine is quite old and it was never intended to be used in many of the ways that it is being used today.
    It handles graphics poorly in terms of memory utilisation.

Although FGU will most likely not be 64bit it will be much better at handling graphic resources so that your system that today is using 3.5GB might only be using 1.5GB with the same content loaded....
    Of course I have no idea what the real world figures will be like with FGU but we do now that there are many very graphical games running on Unity...

But are those games 32 bit? Unity supports 64

Blog Entries
    The Unity build will be 64 bit.

When I looked at similar crashing issues in the past, it was because the GM has lots of shared images and resources.

UnshareImages.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    The Unity build will be 64 bit.
    JPG very recently said it wouldn't be... I can't find his post right now.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I thought he said that some of the libraries used aren't 64bit and they were evaluating to see if ther were updated libraries or 64bit equivalent?

As others have said, have the DM cut down on shared images as much as possible.
    Another thing to do is to have the player load one book, then open and close all the images, then open another book. Opening and then closing the images frees up memory. I've tested it several times.
    In my 32bit test client I cannot open Player's Handbook and Xanathar's Guide at the same time so I did some testing.

If you want Xanathar's Guide and Player's Handbook loaded/open at the same time, just open one of them (in my test I opened Player's Handbook first), then click Images/Maps and one-by-one, open, then close the images. There are 2 pages of images if you only have the Player's Handbook open. It took me 5 minutes to open, then close, each image in turn.

Once you've done that, you can go into the library and load Xanathar's Guide. If you then go back into Images/Maps and open, then close, each image in Xanathar's Guide you'll have enough memory free to open something else.

For whatever reason it seems that the client loads all images/maps by default. Opening then closing the image frees up the memory and you'll end up with more free memory after doing it.

Tedious, but it works.

It was something I mentioned in the Discord channel. We are still evaluating 32-bit vs. 64-bit for FGU. Basically, one of the reasons we picked Unity was for multi-platform support; however, the reality is that there is a fair amount of platform specific code that we need to make sure is written for each platform as well as make sure that the programming libraries we use support all the platforms (including 64-bit).

According to some poking around last night, as far as I can tell, almost all Mac/Linux is 64-bit, and Windows 64-bit is ~95%+ market share. So, maybe we don't even need a 32-bit client?

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    So, maybe we don't even need a 32-bit client?
    To be honest, even now if someone is running a 32-Bit O/S they are going to have massive problems running FG in anger, with the 2GB memory use limit. There's only one player who's mentioned it in the forums - having massive problems because they're still on XP - but are saving up to upgrade to 64-bit O/S hardware.

It won't be long until all mainstream O/S's will be 64-bit. So, IMHO, you may as well make the jump to 64-bit now if it's possible. Forcing people to have 64-bit when moving to Unity is acceptable now (you'll still get some complainers), it's not as acceptable 1-2 years down the track to pull the Unity rug out from under die-hard 32-bit users.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    To be honest, even now if someone is running a 32-Bit O/S they are going to have massive problems running FG in anger, with the 2GB memory use limit. There's only one player who's mentioned it in the forums - having massive problems because they're still on XP - but are saving up to upgrade to 64-bit O/S hardware.

It won't be long until all mainstream O/S's will be 64-bit. So, IMHO, you may as well make the jump to 64-bit now if it's possible. Forcing people to have 64-bit when moving to Unity is acceptable now (you'll still get some complainers), it's not as acceptable 1-2 years down the track to pull the Unity rug out from under die-hard 32-bit users.
    Yep; +1
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information