5E Character Create Playlist

View Poll Results: Which do you consider most user friendly for new players and a new dm?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Im running Scourge of the Sword Coast right now for a group of 5E newbies, and we've been having a blast. Its already been dubbed our best campaign thus far as a group.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Ive set the poll to close in 2 more days.
    Your peers have voted pretty clearly.
    Thanks damned! I didn't see how to set a poll close day after I had created it.

Phandelver would be a perfect fit. As others said, that's what it was designed for. A second choice would be Yawning Portal. It contains several shorter dungeons instead of one long arc. The only one I would advise against would be Strahd. It's extremely open ended and contains much less guidance for the players than the other modules. This makes it a much greater challenge to run.
    You can find my work for D&D 5th Edition on the DMs Guild.

I've read Lost Mine, but not played it, and it seemed rather bland to me. What do people like about it (besides the fact that it's designed for beginning players and DMs, which it clearly is)?
    Last edited by Callum; February 25th, 2018 at 17:46.

LMoP is fun, it has a bit of everything, lots of dungeons, even some outdoor maps, nice village and freedom of choice for the players. It really shows what D&D is best at. The story is a bit weak though, I mean, Black Spider? seriously?

Sunless Citadel from the Yawning Portal is also great. Other dungeons from the YP can be quite deadly though.

Otherwise I'd advise against large modules until you have a stable group. Some campaigns can take very long time to finish (our Storm Kings Thunder was almost one year) and if people drop out in the middle it's not always easy to find replacement. It's also much more motivating to see a story to its end.
    License: Ultimate
    Timezone: CET

There's a lot of extra storyline to exploit if you look at the backgrounds of the pregenerated characters. If your players make their own PCs try to bring some of the pregen backgrounds into the mix - it gives them more reasons to go to Phandelver and do more role-playing/story building in the town.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I have run LMoP twice now. Once for a Group with 2 brand new players and two 'retired' players, and the other time for 6 brand new players.

Both Groups absolutly loved it, and really appreciated the slow but steady buildup in complexity as well as the pregens with their backgrounds integrated into the story.

The Story might seem a bit 'simplistic' to older hands, but especially for people completely new to the game anything more would be overkill, as they have enough to deal with already.

Thread Information