FG Spreadshirt Swag

Sea warfare...how do I build the boat in my mind?

Looking for any book all the way back to AD&D's second edition. I have utilized some maps to begin an almost realistic view of a ship being built from the ground up. Again my idea here is immersion. Thanks everyone.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, not really understanding what you are looking for...
    Something link the animated gif in the wikipedia page; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipbu...ific_Islanders

Or instructions on how a ship was built? Or ship design for an RPG or...?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I can see how I wasn't very clear. Basically what I am wanting to do is find Deck layouts that I can in turn create Maptools Maps. I want to see the differences in firearms and weapons used to accurately represent the advantage ships had when they were up to date. Also going to add proficiencies, feats and other such to support a fully immersive mariner campaign. Thank you for the wiki on ships. I will look at that and others like it,

Blog Entries
    Hmm, I don't know any resources. But I would try searching on drivethrurpg. If someone has done it before, it's likely it would be there.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Eastern USA that is Time Zone - UTC-4 Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)
    I know of two resources.
    It's called Dungeons and Dragons Nautical Adventures. (this is a supplement for 5e)
    There is also a AD&D book called Of Ships and Seas.
    Last edited by JennyRB; October 3rd, 2018 at 03:53.
    JennyRB

Blog Entries
    Hey JennyRB Ive removed the second link as it is copyright material - I have not been able to confirm either way if the other link is a legally shareable resource.

Eastern USA that is Time Zone - UTC-4 Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)
    ok then I'll remove the other link don't want any copyright things.
    JennyRB

I think this is what you might be looking for: On the Seven Seas Wargames Rules for the Age of Piracy and Adventure c.1500–1730.

For more detail and less rules it really depends on what time period and what style you want. Raffaele D'Amato has a series of books that give awesome documentation about the navies of the ancient world complete with detailed illustrations and notes on uniforms, operations, crew, major battles, supplies, etc. Several (but not all) go into detail on construction as well.
    Sea Peoples
    Byzantine Naval Forces 1261–1461
    Imperial Roman Warships 27 BC–193 AD
    Imperial Roman Naval Forces 31 BC–AD 500
    Imperial Roman Warships 193–565 AD
    Republican Roman Warships 509–27 BC

Osprey Publishing does have other series with ships from all over Europe, not just Rome, but nearly all of them are in the gunpowder era if that matters to you (sorted by rough chronological order):

Warships of the Ancient World
    Poseidon’s Warriors
    Viking Longship
    Actium 31 BC
    Byzantine Warship vs Arab Warship
    The Vikings
    Forces of the Hanseatic League
    Renaissance War Galley 1470–1590
    Elizabethan Sea Dogs 1560–1605
    Dutch Navies of the 80 Years' War 1568–1648
    The Armada Campaign 1588
    The Barbary Pirates 15th-17th Centuries
    The Fortifications of Malta 1530–1945
    The Pirate Ship 1660–1730
    Fighting Sail
    British Frigate vs French Frigate

Edit: I forgot to add, another great way to imagine the scenario is to read a novel. And Moby **** is still a great story of life on a whaling ship hunting a sea monster. There are plenty of others too, but that one is a classic for very good reason.
    Last edited by GavinRuneblade; October 5th, 2018 at 16:00.

Thread Information