Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Blog Entries

<button_iconcyler> why no default value setting?

Is there a particular reason the <button_iconcycler> does not have a "<defaultvalue>" parameter?

It's true the value ("value[0]") associated with default icon is the empty string (""), but when checking the getStringValue(...), comparing it against "", doesn't really give me a warm and fuzzy feeling!
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

It's because it was a template built a very long time ago for a very specific purpose. While it has been generalized a bit over time, it has only evolved by what has been needed to get the job done.

JPG

Blog Entries
    Okay, thank you.

@Community Wiki moderators: If I were to "re-generalize" the <button_iconcycler> control yet again, without breaking current functionality, would the reworked control be worthy of consideration for publishing on the Community Wiki? Publishing it in the forums dooms the work to temporal obscurity.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; February 13th, 2018 at 18:31. Reason: typo
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

I like that, "temporal obscurity".

If you have a new script for a template that doesn't break anything but adds functionality, I'm not sure that the wiki would be the best place to publish, unless your plan is to provide it as an instructive example. Posting on the forums invites dialog to refine the code and provide for people to use in ongoing projects, which seems better.

One of the challenges with defining constructs without a clear example/need is that you end up designing in a vacuum. You spend time on things that will never be used, and are at risk of creating a design that does not meet your long term needs. While normally this isn't an issue, you just change it when you need to; but it becomes an issue when dealing with backward compatibility and a modding community.

If you did build a replacement template with a clear need it is solving, I would be willing to review the code for inclusion as a replacement for the existing template with your permission. However, I never promise to leave things untouched when I include them. I typically rewrite to fit in with the existing implementations when I feel it is needed. Just ask any of the developers I work with closely.

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Moon Wizard, again thanks.

I wanted to ask that question, but didn't quite know how.

Okay then. This might be well worth my time. I will put something together, thoroughly test it and publish here, for your perusal.

Blog Entries
    As for the Wiki aspect, if their is a current page that the information that <button_cycler> doesn't have a default value should be included on, let me know and we can update that page. If you were thinking something else (as your discussion with Moon indicates), let me know what you guys come up with and how/where it would make sense to include in the wiki.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Also, one thing I thought of that you should consider is that the default value for any string field or string database value is the empty string. So, if you are thinking about implementing a default value, consider that.

Also, try and use the default tag like it is used by numbercontrol, so there is consistency.

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    ...the default value for any string field or string database value is the empty string...
    Okay. Got it.
    So, if you are thinking about implementing a default value, consider that.
    No that's not where I was going. (See below.)
    ... use the default tag like it is used by numbercontrol...
    Okay. Got it.

For these example parameters:
    defaulticon: IconA
    icons: IconB, IconC , IconD
    values: two, three, four

The problem is..
    As one cycles through the icons with the mouse, click, click, click...
    IconA, IconB, IconC, IconD
    The results of getStringValue( ) are:
    "","two","three","four"

If programmatically, you want to see if the user stopped at IconA, it would be nice to have the value of say "one" returned instead of "".

"" is just... well too blank!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    ... if their is a current page that the information that <button_iconcycler> doesn't have a default value...
    There is currently no Wiki page for this esoteric little control. At least not one that I could easily find. It is simply a little undocumented template. Many templates like this are based on other controls which are documented, so addition documentation is not needed. This guy is a little different than most. Maybe its sister control, stringcycler or textcycler (can't remember the name) has documentation.

But if I do a proper job on this Moon Wizard might bring it in to the ruleset anyway, so this discussion might be moot.

I guess the pressure is on.

There are no documented templates that I am aware of. Only basic controls are documented in the FG API reference. These are the building blocks that all windows and templates are built from.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information