5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Losing my mind with basic custom calendar

I am tearing my hair out trying to get this absolutely basic custom calendar working. I've read all the custom calendar posts I can find. I've tried modifying the existing calendars.mod file (I assumed if I did this my custom calendar would show up with the other standard calendars) as well as creating my own calendars_mine.mod file (I assumed if I did this it would show up as a separate module I'd need to load). I see no results with either method.

What I did when adding my calendar to the existing calendars.mod:
    1. Closed Fantasy Grounds
    2. Rename calendars.mod to .zip, unzip to a folder
    3. Copied the existing greyhawk calendar section, changed the section tags from greyhawk to tellene, changed the name of the days and months, saved the file,
    4. Used an xml validator to check the xml is valid, checks out ok,
    5. bundle the db.xml, definition.xml, thumbnail.png back into calendars.zip,
    6. rename to .mod
    7. Relaunched Fantasy Grounds and opened my campaign
    8. Nothing! My calendar isn't there.

Any ideas?

Upload your .mod file and I'll take a look.

I just left home for a few hours but I'll post it as soon as I get back. Thank you for the offer to help.

Blog Entries
    It does sound like you have either an incorrectly named mod file or the contents are in a folder.

Skip the step where you put things back in the mod file - just leave the unpacked files so you have something like:

\Fantasy Grounds\modules\calendars\db.xml
    \Fantasy Grounds\modules\calendars\definition.xml
    \Fantasy Grounds\modules\calendars\thumbnail.png

Close the Calendar module within FG.
    Restart FG.
    Open the calendar module...

If this works then it was something in the way you packaged it up.

Turns out I was packaging them fine. The mistake I made was not changing the name tag in the definition.xml file meaning I had multiple modules with the name Calendars.

Before attempting my modifications I renamed the existing calendars.mod to calendars_old.mod then placed my modified calendars.mod in the modules folder. When starting FG I guess it was loading the calendars_old.mod file before my modified calendars.mod? In Anycase, once I deleted the calendars_old.mod file everything worked fine.

Also thanks for the tip about not needing to zip files up and rename them everytime, really speeds up testing.

Thanks for the offer of help Andraax, and the suggestion damned.

You should probably rename your new calendars.mod to something other than that. If there is an update to calendars.mod in our patch system, it will overwrite that file.

Regards,
    JPG

Once I figured out what was going on (and had my calendar working as part of calendars.mod) I moved it into its own file for that exact reason. It now shows up as its own module, as I was expecting, and should be immune to future updates overwriting it.

Thread Information