Starfinder Playlist

Recruiting player's. How do you go about it?

Been DMing on fantasy ground for about 3 years now but only recently been recruiting new players. Became curious what methods you use to recruit new player. Anything you look for or avoid in a player?

Depending on what I am running mostly I am looking for interest. Having anyone who want to join pm me and maybe talk to me on a voice chat before saying yes to them.
    Ultimate License
    D&D 5th
    DM: The Chronos Chronic (completed, characters deaths 17th), Elemental Evil (Completed: Victory), A Shift in Domains, Shadows of Power,and Our Fractured Masks.

Blog Entries
    Hi keeperofsouls I personally prefer to have some interaction with the player before Ill invite/accept them for a multi-session game/campaign.
    For one shots Ill take all comers.
    For a new player joining an existing group - they pick up an existing character and the group get to approve/deny the person post that first session. If they dont get approved its not casting aspersions on that person - its just that the group were looking for a different style/type of player.
    I used to (5 years ago) recruit far and wide but now its mostly through the existing players and this forum.

Blog Entries
    I have instructions for new players. If they can't follow them, that's a big red flag.

That said, I run Castles & Crusades games pretty well exclusively now, with an "old school" approach. Generally my "target" players are people in their late 30s, 40s and beyond. I've had good results recruiting from a number of Facebook groups dedicated to helping people find a game, which can and does include on-line games. I also post here, but C&C games fall to page 11 pretty quick with the plethora of 5e/Pathfinder games that spring up (curious to know what percentage of those ever get off the ground).

The biggest challenge I find is that I'm running a game that isn't 5e or Pathfinder and most people have no idea what a hidden gem C&C is, or they'd be lining up IMO at least.

I've had a few duds to weed out through this approach - sometimes people are in love with the idea of gaming again, but not actually prepared to do it. So getting interest could simply be setting yourself up for one of those one-and-done types after you as DM put in a lot of work.

By and large though, the people I've found this way were generally gamers "years ago" before life got in the way and they'd like a way to recapture some of that. Online is the easiest thing to build into your schedule.

Most of my players now are people who were new to C&C when they started in my game(s) and new to FG as well. I'm hoping that some of the 20 people that fall into this category might buy-in to FG down the road.

But yeah, generally new people coming to an existing group get to play a vacated PC if one exists until such time as they show they can play nicely in the sandbox with the rest of the kids, and gel well with the existing players. If the game is new, and I have to teach someone FG as well, then we sit down and go through an intro and character creation. But, otherwise, it's pre-gen PC or a PC that was abandoned by someone else.

I run 4 separate games with close to 30 players spread among them (with some commonality between some of the groups). I also play in 2 other games run by people that are players in one or more of my campaigns. It works out great for the most part.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

In the end both your group and the new player/s have to enjoy the game and the style of play you enjoy. If they don't match then don't be insulted and don't try to push it - players will either drop if they aren't enjoying the style and gaming, or sometimes try to change it to the way they want to play. The former is frustrating, especially if they just drop without any communication, but don't take it to heart; the latter you will have to speak to the player and probably ask them to leave if you don't think it's possible to work it out (if you want to even try).

Sometimes it will take you a few "swing-and-a-miss" attempts to find good, reliable players who fit well into your group, communicate well and respect the effort you put in. Stick with it, don't flog a dead horse if a specific player is a problem, move on... But keep gaming - you will eventually get a good group and have many enjoyable and memorable gaming sessions together.

As others have said - look at the communication the player does before the game. If they don't communicate well, aren't asking questions, don't seem really invested then don't spend too much time with them - give them a pregen and see how they go if you don't have anyone else waiting in line, but don't delay your games waiting for them. Go ahead and play.

Another thing to do is welcome players into your group - especially if it has been running for a while. It can be daunting for a new player to try to get used to the gaming environment (your world, their PC, Fantasy Grounds, gaming online, etc.) and a new bunch of people. Ask the current players ahead of time to be welcoming and inclusive. This will help the new player to feel more at home and want to game with you - which will make their contribution more worthwhile and maybe they'll stay...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Good advice here.

So you gather 5 people for a game. Say two sessions later 3 flake out. So what? Don't look at it like you lost 3, look at it like you gained 2.

Recruit a few more, or even just one. Sometimes they stick sometimes they don't. Eventually you get to a point where you have your critical mass; enough people that like your game and style of DMing, as well as you enjoy having them in your game. Now you just play and don't worry about it.

When real life intervenes as inevitably it will, you still have a solid group of people as your base to go out and find that one lucky person to join an established, well oiled group; then you all make an effort to be welcoming and inclusive of the new person.

When I started with FG, my first game had 5 people. 3 dropped after the second session and another after the third. No problem; the one that didn't still plays in my games today, 6 years later.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Yeah - if you really want 5 players for your game but you only have three who have committed and the start date rolls around... start.
    Sometimes waiting around for the other two people who this game fits perfectly for to turn up means that you lose two of the others who found another game thats already playing.
    Start.
    And after each session post a recap and a "room for one more player" tag.
    Over time you will lose players anyway - life happens - so there will be some degree of recruitment ongoing over the life of the campaign (or campaigns!!!!).

Blog Entries
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...m-Gaming-Group

And to add to that and what others have said. IMO, pick a schedule and stick to it. If your life doesn't allow a schedule, then I would suggest looking at regular one-shots or an "open table" approach (Google the term to learn more).

Make sure you lay out your expectations. Come across harder than you actually think you are or want to be. It's easier to let something slide than to tell someone they are living up to game's expectations. Realize they are the game's expectations and not yours. Once you lay them out and get people to commit to them, they no longer belong to just you. That means changing them needs to be done with consensus, not fiat.

In genral though, I would suggest running a bunch of one-shots. You'll learn who you play well with and then can invite them to a "permanent" game.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information