DICE PACKS BUNDLE

NewB Question - "How would you..." - Implement the 'Shield Focus' feat

Pretty straight-forward question. I'm learning how to use Fantasy Grounds in preparation for playing some Pathfinder online with some friends.

I've imported some characters from HeroLab, but I learned very quickly that there is still A LOT of work to do to get this into working order (something I'm very disappointed in having bought the Pathfinder Core Rules package thinking I was buying a COMPLETE implementation of those rules, but that's a post for later).

One of the first things I'm trying to get working is automatic handling of the 'Shield Focus' feat which seems pretty straight-forward (if I have a shield equipped give me an additional +1 to Shield AC), but I can't really figure out how to get that working.

My current idea (which I'm not really excited about) is to create a custom shield item with a 'Shield Focus' suffix every time the player picks up a new shield and then increase it's AC by 1

Anyone have any better suggestions?

Pathfinder is a very complex system with over 12 years of content. It is unlikely that anyone will produce software that accurately accounts for every rule and every exception. When we create content for any role-playing game system, we aim for automating about 80-90% of the rules. This allows us to cover the majority of the rules and play styles with a reasonable amount of development effort.

On the specific Shield Focus feat, your solution is a reasonable one. (i.e. custom item with additional AC bonus). An easier option is to add a miscellaneous modifier to the AC and Flat-footed AC on the Combat tab of the PC.

Regards,
    JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; February 5th, 2018 at 20:32.

Just realized my solution would not work. Moon's idea is probably better.
    Last edited by Blahness98; February 5th, 2018 at 20:28. Reason: Brainfart on stacking effects.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

OK. I'd be worried that with a miscellaneous modifier it isn't actually associated with the shield or the feat so it will be easy to forget about where it comes from when I inevitably have to add and remove another miscellaneous modifier for the next thing. So I'll probably work it into the item.

I understand it's a complex system and that it's hard but from a consumer perspective that's why I paid for it (so I didn't have to do it myself). I'm not asking for some obscure rule by the way, I figured core rules feats would fall under this 80-90% rule. Even stuff like Athletic and Acrobatic don't seem to work automatically. When characters are more stable it isn't that big a deal, but since I'm just starting to import all my PCs it's sticking out to me a bit more. So far every other thing requires some custom handling. Plus, I'm going to hand it off to players, so I'll have to explain where/how everything is accounted for. Coming from HeroLab, I would say that there is "software that accurately accounts for every rule" and most exceptions. Maybe I'm just spoiled by LoneWolf though.

Regardless, Fantasy Grounds definitely provides more than a few things that I found lacking in other tabletop simulators. I'm excited to have it up and running because I think it will make the actual game time much easier and I'm grateful for that, even if it takes a bit of hacking and some syncing into and out of HeroLab to get it working. It's mostly just the Pathfinder Rules package in relation to character building in comparison to the same offering from HeroLab that I'm disappointed in.

Please keep up the good work! Is there a place I can share these things to help guide improvement and help future adopters without seeming like a **** ?

We have the wish list in my signature to track new feature items; and any usage tips/suggestions for others are usually tracked via forum posts.

Regards,
    JPG

Just increase the bonus of the shield item by 1 in its properties to account for the feat.

So a +2 Heavy Shield would normally be 4 AC, just make it 5. When it goes to a +3 Heavy Shield make it 6, etc.

Thread Information