STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Yup, that’s certainly the right way to go about things... when you have a clue

I have not much of an idea how to vary the cost of things in relation to each other. How much more is a Bec-de-danseur-something than a dagger and how do I go from bread to leather to chain mail? Heck, I don’t even know he current price range of modern leather jackets

That’s why I was hoping to get some back of envelope estimates on converting between 1e->C&C and normal C&C->Yggs right etc. I figure I’ll settle on a “most in common” between those and then the ones not in the common one take the price and apply the conversion %? Thing is figuring that number out.

Especially important because if a Treasure from an encounter is 2300gp in 1e at level X and this is considered “average” then if running under C&C rule system what should it be? Or trying to convert treasure in Rappan Athuk (S&W) to C&C or 1e... etc.

I don’t expect exact answers just hoping to get advice I can use when I have to tackle this soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    One general category I always find tricky is money, treasure, magic.

When you are new to a system (or been away a long time) it is hard to know what to do when going from 1E to C&C or visa versa regarding magic items/weapons etc. Like what "rate", "bonuses at x level", etc.

Then don't get me started on cash hehe. Perhaps it is my engineer's fixation but I like precision and feeling at least like I got it "right." The exchange rates like whether it is 20sp to 1g or 10sp or... that's fine if you assume 1gp = 1gp (or 1gp = 5sp, whatever) from system to system. I haven't looked yet - currently working on my cross-game pantheon (selecting deities from Airdhe, GH, and Lost Lands.

Does anyone have tips on how to come up with the math to convert from AD&D->C&C->S&W->C&C-CastleZagyg-Yggsburgh->3E type conversions for when trying to move modules or source books from one system to another? I recall being confused looking at Yygs vs PHB - so I have been putting off figuring my "on the fly" monetary treasure/prices conversion formulae.
    Stock Yggsburgh I believe goes with the SP as common coin. 20 SP = 1 GP in some places, 10 SP = 1 GP in others. Gygax wanted the former I believe.

Personally I don't worry too much. As a CK there are a plethora of ways you can divest funds from your players if you get the balance a little wrong and you don't need to even go out of your way to contrive a situation.

Inn fees, stabling for mounts, mounts, training costs, expert weapons/armor/equipment, potions, healing at temples, buying your way into nobility or membership in the right organizations, etc....
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Yup, de-moneying is not a problem. But if I give XP for gold, which I do, then it becomes trickier if the "mistake" is not corrected early.

I also just want to set prices right, which I will do by comparing, hopefully.
    I really like the idea of silver being the "standard" currency, making gold less seen in normal transactions/pricing but it seems like I will constantly make the mistake of referring to gold pieces or not converting on fly time to time. But, I'd like to go with that if I could swing it.

PS, I'd love to visit Castle Zagyg someday... if ever need a sit-in holler in PM!

Blog Entries
    I stopped giving XP for treasure a long time ago. I give bonus XP for being present and ready to start by the scheduled start time, bonus XP for good role play, bonus XP for anyone maintaining an in-character journal, and milestone awards at appropriate times.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information