FG Spreadshirt Swag

Headshots and low skilled shooter survivability in War of the Dead?

Hi guys, I played in one War if the Dead (related Con adventure) and it seemed really difficult to score headshots for low Shooting skill characters. Now, I can read what I wrote and can agree it should be that way in real life. No argument there. Just trying to make sure being a novice that I didn’t miss anything. I know you can do aimed called shots and there is double tap etc but basically wanted to get the feeling from people who’ve run or played it:

Should I strongly advise my players to go to d6+ to start? I originally thought to have them create characters “based” on their real life skills (replacing when Dead with whatever but prefer to have SOME survive heh) In the beginning they can’t “call” **** without clues, that’s fine just wondering statistically with d4 and 1 in 4 chance of exploding even with negative mods, how often would these type of characters get chance to hit kill shots once they know the weakness?

Hmmm did I typo “shot” above? /blush

Hmmm I looked again and realized I meant “headshot” (cabeza-shot, in case term is on some no fly list)

Yeah, headshots are tough.

Aiming helps as you get a +2 to hit. Also double tab can give you another +1. So if you aim and double tap the penalty drops to -1. If you are feeling brave, close in an target their parry. even better, knock them prone and then target their parry. My players also like to shake the zombies first to buy time for the headshot later on
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

A scope on a rifle is +2 to hit. For some reason they are in the Sci-Fi companion - glass optics are clearly future tech...

I would probably also give +1 to hit for a handgun laser - technology so astounding it is not mentioned. Maybe another +1 for bracing on a support (car hood, window frame, etc) when shooting. Also fantastic for distracting cats or giving presentations.

Anyhow, +2 is pretty big while +1 would help quite a bit.

I've been taking my son through WOTD and he has been finding ways to knock the zombies off their feet and then smashes the head while they're prone. lol

haha, now that sounds fun!
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Blog Entries
    When I was running a game based off of WotD, I used what I think is the hit location chart from GURPS, rolling a d30. If the hit was to the head or neck I rolled Smarts to see if people realized that head shots were more effective... after a while we didn't have to do the old "nudge nudge wink wink" any more.

Of course, I then TPKed everyone... taking 3 characters from full health to 5, 7 and 7 wounds in one round. Kinda soured on the SW rules at that point.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

My in person group is having a similar problem in our zombie campaign. We're all new to savage worlds and even though they're picking it up quick they refuse to use attack options to increase odds of hitting even though I suggest plenty of options yo choose from. One piece of advice I've heard and used is use attack options against then to show the potential.

If the players aren't listening then using solid tactics against them is a good way to make them realise what they can do.

The Combat Survival Guide can be a good thing to share with the players: https://www.peginc.com/freebies/SWco...al%20Guide.pdf
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

That is always a good document. One of the reasons I like Savage Worlds anyone can be deadly!

Thread Information