5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Thanks! I hadn't heard of that one, I'll have to check it out.

Merge rules.
    I will have to look into those.

If it keeps telling you its nil your syntax is wrong and its not finding your changes/values. It is generally better (more reliable) to grab the values from the database rather than a Window reference as the database path is always the same but the window path can be different depending on where you are calling the action from and how you have written it.
    AH! I think you've pointed me in the right direction! I haven't found anywhere explaining how the database is populated in the 5e ruleset and had assumed it was parsing the character sheets in xml, reading all of the fields by name, and then saving them. If thats not the case, I need to figure out how to get my sheet values to store in the DB before I call it.

Monsters typically dont have levels so I assumed you are making this change for PCs? Apply an effect to the PCs with no expiration.
    Like for Proficiency bonus calculations, the score applies to monsters and NPCs as well, with CR in place of level. I understand that I will have to figure it out for NPCs and Monsters separately from PCs, but it absolutely applies to several stats for every single creature in the campaign, PC or otherwise.

All the image sizes being thrown around are recommendations
    Yeah, I got that. I'll keep it in mind. How many pixels do you guys usually use for a medium size creature? Where I'm going gridless, all my combat tokens and maps are gonna need to be standardized to a set PPI value. Do you guys do 100ppi? 200ppi?

Misc. Memory Management advice
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Hi Hawkwinter

Have a look at an existing extension - a nice easy one is the Hero Points for 5e and you can see an example of a merge rule in action.

Your data from the character sheet is being stored in the db.xml as soon as you make changes. You can reference data in either the character sheet or in the database. You will find it easier over the long term to reference the db. Give a field a unique (or nearly unique) value and then use Find in Files to find it. Then back search on the data type/class/string etc to find all the components.

You will have some work cut out for you - but it is absolutely possible to do what you want. Definitely do this in an extension - it will save you lots of angst later on.

More typically people are using something closer to 50px for a medium sized token - eg a characters token/pog/portrait. Others do use higher res. I tend to aim for fast

Keeping the map file size within stated paraments will most certainly enhance your players enjoyment.

Big maps can take awhile to "pop up" and players unfamiliar with FG keyboard controls will have issues trying to navigate around.

Those of us around "awhile" can pretty much handle most stuff while playing, but newer folks who we often try to introduce to the site can be overwhelmed with the depth of the interface. IMHO

Smaller maps are better, but I think we all know the desire to have a BIG map with some meat on it
    Ultimate License Holder & FGU backer
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:
    *Opus Christini Traveller campaign

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

Thread Information