Starfinder Playlist

Video/guidance on ruleset development

I wish there were a web video series (perhaps with accompany blog or section in FG forums for: “Anatomy of a Ruleset based on CoreRPG”

Basically cover building a light version of 3.5, d20, etc (or if someone wants to detail building anything really - I suggested existing ones since the video person could redo it similarly to existing code)

I know SW is too busy (although it may help their adoption if there were even more niche rule sets available?) but maybe some of the ruleset stars like, I dunno, folks who know Core inside out - who might know Core Mire than anyone not on SW ;o (see what I did there?)

Or any other nice community developer with the time and ability to film it. Perhaps it could get enough views to also help them from whatever viewers do (I’m a youtubenooblet)

I know I’d be interested in mucking with rulesets if I had time to learn the basics of how the base rulesets are layed out and how to attach to/build on them etc. best practices to help minimize work between Core updates etc.

I know I’m wishing for a huge thing. Just tossing it out there in case there is a wannabe dev rockstar/messiah who might be convinced to do so.

Moved this post to a new thread as it really had nothing to do with the official product thread it was posted in.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yeah, I’m sorry about that. I wasn’t thinking it through plus I was typing on my iphone’s small display as a result of following a link in email notification I received from forums about someone posting asking about an MA ruleset possibility.

In hindsight, I am embarrassed at breach of basic forum etiquette

Blog Entries
    Watching someone code a ruleset - unless they were amazing at it would be like watching groundhog day.
    Code it... test it - doesnt work.
    Tinker, test it - better but not right.
    Tinker, test it - doesnt work at all.
    Tinker, test it - ok, I see the error.
    Tinker, test it - half way there.
    Tinker, test it - doesnt work.
    Tinker, add some more debug, test it - ahhh, ok I see now.
    Tinker, test it - yay it works.
    Open Client connection - doesnt work on player client.
    Tinker...

Video is not the medium. It would need to be a hyperlinked document. It is the maintenance that would be the nail in the coffin. It would be invalid every update and useless after about three or four updates. This kind of thing has been requested at least annually and it just isn’t going to happen. (Actually it has. There is one available through the wiki but it is now mostly useless)

Well, I meant more of a lecture than a live cast...

Unless that’s how your University experience was I’d expect that would be more how it would go.

Bid, as much as I’d love a walkthrough from a SW source, I am aware there would be no priority and therefore no time with so little devs so many jobs . However,I was expressing a desire for such a walk through. Nothing wrong with expressing that desire, that others have “annually” only goes to show it isn’t just me and not proof that it is worthless to ask (even assuming I had read them in past, which I haven’t)

Sorry, Varsuuk, didn't mean to imply it wasn't worth asking, just that we will get the same answer we have always had on this, which is many of the folks capable of doing it (and I am not one of those -- never did a ruleset and don't plan to do one) explaining why they won't. Further, I will not advocate SW do it because I'd much rather they focus on adding capability to what we have. Now that is driven because I am not one of the boutique ruleset fans that wants to see some left-field ruleset developed, but I just don't personally want SW spending their time supporting a high-maintenance documentation effort to facilitate folks developing boutique rulesets that they can never get enough players to even use.
    It is not that hard to figure out anyway. The API documentation SW has developed is superb. While I haven't developed a ruleset, I am confident I could. (someday I'd like to do a LeyJammer extension/ruleset based upon bringing Spelljammer to PF, but who knows if I will ever get there).
    If you dived in, folks here would help you. It happens all the time.

Thread Information