DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Content as Markdown Files

It seems to me that writing content would be MUCH easier to manage outside of Fantasy Grounds rather than within it. If we had a way to have Markdown files as a way to load and edit Campaign content it would make the process of creating content trivial and allow content creators to focus on the content itself rather than the process of creating it.

Given how simple markdown is, it would lend itself perfectly to FG translation.

Blog Entries
    FG is XML markup and Lua scripts. For just content, you're looking at XML. I have 9 products in the store and more on the way and every single one of them were done in Notepad++ including the one I'm doing as I write this.

Someone (read: a community member because SmiteWorks doesn't have the staff to do such a project) would have to write a markdown-to-XML translator. One that can work with each ruleset's specific markup (usually window classes) and data paths.
    Last edited by Talyn; January 19th, 2018 at 00:43.

Gotta say, as a developer, the whole, XML hell is a technical debt that should be paid off and move to JSON or something... you know... modern and relatively self-documenting

Blog Entries
    Yeah my IT friends are like "XML? That still exists?" LOL but ya gotta work with what you're handed.

I'd love for the Unity client to move onto a more modern medium but for 100% backwards-compatibility... stuck with XML some more.

If I could actually... you know, LOOK at the content that I paid for in XML I could probably transform it, but since it's locked down in a passworded ZIP, I can't.

Look at the free content. That offers ample models (well not the newest features, I don’t think).

Gix, it would never be as easy as you want it to be. You cannot expect software as sophisticated as FG or any program like it to natural-language parse a pdf, markdown, or any other general-purpose document format to get it into usable form. The xml is really a database.
    Last edited by Bidmaron; January 19th, 2018 at 01:08.

Blog Entries
    Any content you create within FG can then be exported to a mod that will not be encrypted.
    Zacchaeus has great videos on how to create many things in FG within the interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Gix View Post
    If we had a way to have Markdown files as a way to load and edit Campaign content it would make the process of creating content trivial and allow content creators to focus on the content itself rather than the process of creating it.
    There was a tool that allowed this (PAR5E) but, as you can see from nearly 3000 posts in this thread, anything like that is far from *trivial* to use.

As has been mentioned, if you really want to hand edit stuff, then look at the format of some of the standard (non encrypted) FG modules, or create some records in a campaign and export to a module.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

One of my hopes is that once FGU does come out and settles down that Smiteworks has a dev on the task of making content creation easier. Something like a WYSIWYG Ref-manual creation tool. If they can keep people out of XML/LUA for content creation it would more than likely increase the amount of content created.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information