STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Unarmed and Improvised Weapon attacks

I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out an easy way for a character to do Unarmed attacks in the Combat Tracker. Same for Improvised Weapon attacks. What am I missing?

Blog Entries
    Characters attack from the character sheet, first off. You would need to add Unarmed Attack and whichever applicable Improvised Weapon to the character's Combat tab.

If you're the GM, then sure, you'd do NPC attacks from the Combat Tracker. Same deal — add them to the NPC.

You just add a weapon to the character sheet - name it 'Fists' and have it do a str die for damage, set it to non-lethal melee, and drive on. I also adjust the bonus damage to a d4.

Improvised weapons... Do them much the same way....

NOTE: The -1 parry will have to be done manually.

Just remember that you have to have enough strength to wield any die type provided by a weapon. So, a character with a d6 in strength could not use a d8 improvised weapon.

There is no reason every character could not have these attacks built and ready - however, I've almost never seen them in use. The only time I've seen fists fly is when a martial artist cuts loose.

Last edited by Topdecker; January 15th, 2018 at 01:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    There is no reason every character could not have these attacks built and ready
    That's exactly my point - why aren't they built into the ruleset already, since they are part of the rules? This just seems like a clumsy workaround.

Almost every character is capable of making Unarmed attacks, so why isn't that just automatically on the Combat tab of their character sheet already? Or at least capable of being dragged and dropped into it? It seems a real oversight that it isn't.

As regards it never happening... in my games there are frequently bar fights, people getting into arguments etc. so yeah, I do see this happening relatively frequently. Especially in a ruleset that's based on pulp fiction where fisticuffs are a common trope.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rodney418 View Post
    That's exactly my point - why aren't they built into the ruleset already, since they are part of the rules? This just seems like a clumsy workaround.

Almost every character is capable of making Unarmed attacks, so why isn't that just automatically on the Combat tab of their character sheet already? Or at least capable of being dragged and dropped into it? It seems a real oversight that it isn't.

As regards it never happening... in my games there are frequently bar fights, people getting into arguments etc. so yeah, I do see this happening relatively frequently. Especially in a ruleset that's based on pulp fiction where fisticuffs are a common trope.

If thats your point why isnt that what you asked in the first place?
    There are not pages and pages of people posting "where are unarmed attacks?".
    The authors of the ruleset code it to the best of their knowledge/time/priority.
    Anyway...
    The best place to make your requests is here: https://savagefgii.idea.informer.com/
    Ikael is very responsive but is only one man.
    Let him know what would make your Savage Worlds experience better.

Apparently I didn't make myself clear enough first time around. I assumed that since it was in the rules, and the rules are supposed to be reflected in the FG ruleset. that I was just not understanding how to do it, not that it wasn't there.

Yes, for clarity, this is what I want. A way to push a button for Unarmed Attack, just like I push a button for any other weapon attack. Also for Improvised Weapon, a way to automatically apply the special modifiers that go with it.

Blog Entries
    Apparently I didn't make myself clear enough first time around. I assumed that since it was in the rules, and the rules are supposed to be reflected in the FG ruleset. that I was just not understanding how to do it, not that it wasn't there.

Yes, for clarity, this is what I want. A way to push a button for Unarmed Attack, just like I push a button for any other weapon attack. Also for Improvised Weapon, a way to automatically apply the special modifiers that go with it.
    The posters above point out how to do it.
    5e doesnt have an automatic unarmed entry on the char sheet.
    Nor does Pathfinder or 3.5e.
    You do something similar in almost every ruleset.

Blog Entries
    Pathfinder does have it, probably because of all the "where's Unarmed Attack" posts over the years.

I'll do a test on my end to see if the SW ruleset can do it without additional scripting. However, keep in mind that if Ikael adds Unarmed Attack to the SWD Players Guide, he will have to add additional scripting to check for the Brawler and Martial Artist edges. Until that happens, players are responsible for doing that on their own.

(As an aside, I did add Unarmed to all the NPCs in the adventure I'm about to submit, and I'll go back and patch it into all the previous ones too.)

Update: I wasn't sure this would work, given how the underlying markup is laid out, but yes — Unarmed Attack does indeed function correctly as a melee attack, nonlethal damage and the ruleset correctly adapts it to whatever the character's Strength die type is. It's possible Ikael might see this thread, but he definitely looks at the Savage Worlds IdeaInformer site if you'd like to add that to the suggestion list?
    Last edited by Talyn; January 15th, 2018 at 17:26.

To clarify - please add to the SW feature request list here: https://savagefgii.idea.informer.com/
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the request and ticket to idea informer!

I was thinking about this and what do you think, would it be enough if you could drag and drop new weapons (improvised weapon/unarmed attack) into NPC combat tracker entry to add them for given CT entry to use?

In v4.6 version there are plenty features for CT and such idea is already planned for it.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Thread Information