Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    I am copying and pasting formatted text - nothing more, nothing less. The problem occurs when the first element of a paragraph is formatted bold or italic.

If I am wrong to want to bold the first word in a paragraph, then wrong I am.

I think that where we are at is that I appear to have a problem that no one else is experiencing. It should be super-easy to reproduce and no one seems to have the problem.

How do I fix that? Reinstall? Check data files?

Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    I think that where we are at is that I appear to have a problem that no one else is experiencing.
    Nope. I'm seeing it too. It's part of the standard "functionality" of the formattedtextcontrol.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ok, well, then I will consider this a bug report. Thanks for letting me know, Trenloe.

This hopefully gets some attention since it seems like basic functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    This hopefully gets some attention since it seems like basic functionality.
    I think this problem, or something very similar has been reported before. To be honest, I don't think you'll see anything soon. Moon Wizard has said a few times he wants to re-work the formattedtextcontrol, but with his work on FGU taking up the majority of his time I don't think you'll see anything soon. Just my opinion, but I want to manage your expectations.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I remember recently a similar discussion about paste in FG stripping all the formatting. I think it was in a thread with Celestian wanting to be able to import tab delimited tables. Moon said something about it.

It is strange that it adds a line return, I would not have expected that. I think it's something they are considering to improve for FGU. But their are concerns because of special characters meaning something in XML etc. (Not that their are workaround that would make improvements).

One other possible work around for you is to create a story template to create your entry. And then use that to create the copies of the formatted story entries. It's what I do so that all my dungeon room descriptions are consistent.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    FG's clipboard is very limited and yes, it does strip formatting and strips/replaces a good deal of custom characters. It seems to be its own separate beast from the standard OS clipboard.

Another "feature" ::sarcastic cough:: is that formatted text control is contained within the text itself so if you, say, set a section of text in the middle of a sentence to bold or italic then copy that into a different formatted text window, you'll notice it creates a linebreak where you started the bold/italics. JPG said something to the effect that this is due to the original programmers (before SmiteWorks) not including CDATA in the XML, which is why a whole host of other character and text rendering issues occur as well. Unfortunately, thanks to backwards compatibility, this behavior will continue into Unity as well.

There is also some similar weirdness with using the delete key to 'pull' a formatted paragraph up a line. If a paragraph is adjacent to the point of 'delete,' it will lose it's formatting when the paragraph is drawn upwards. I suspect that this is entangled with the pasting problem that I highlighted here.

You learn to edit things into place and then format them. I hope that they get all this cleaned up with the unity version. It would also be nice to have a developer paste option - where the filters are off.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Hi Topdecker Can you repeat your experiment without the : just as a test?
    Yes that delete things annoys me too!
    No need - I already tested that . In one of the examples, there is a line that looks something like...

THis thing, that thing, the other thing

It breaks on THis (breaking on italics rather than bold) and there is no colon involved

Thread Information