DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Not Saving!!!

phloog,

I am running Windows 10 as well, and I haven't run into this issue.

In the large majority of cases where I've seen permissions issues occur (but not always), it is because the FG data directory in the Settings has been changed to something other than the default value setup when FG is first installed. If you have it set up somewhere other than that, it could be the cause of the issue. (See below for default location.)

One way to fix for any new campaigns is to perform an uninstall of FG, re-install from the web site, make sure that you use the default folder locations, and complete a new installation. If you need to copy over campaigns from the previous data folder, you may need to fix permissions on those first. Note, any changes you made to directory settings will be saved between installations, so make sure you change to default (if they are not already).

Default FG application directory = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds"
    Default FG data directory = "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds"

If the directories are set to the default, then after the uninstall, also make sure to rename the old FG application and data directories (if they still exist), before re-installing. This should reset the permissions.

Regards,
    JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; December 9th, 2017 at 19:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Copy your current FG data directory from the SD to the SSD - get to the current directory by clicking the folder icon in the top right of the main FG launch screen.

Then change the "data directory" location from the FG settings window to point to where you've copied the data on the SSD - click the "Setting" button on the main launch screen. Make sure you have full read/write permissions to the whole of this directory structure. Then run an update to make sure all of your DLC is correct.
    Between games...I have EXPORTED the important bits (the characters, just in case), and think I can try this now.

So my USB card is listed as Drive E:, and FG says that my "Files" are in [Phloog clicks on "Open Data Folder"]:

E:/Users/[MYNAME]/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds

I have on my SSD, the location:

C:/Users/[MYNAME]/AppData/Roaming/

So can I, without causing errors or miscellaneous aardvark eruptions, MOVE the entire /Fantasy Grounds folder from it's current place to the location listed above on C:

THEN, tell FG that it's there now?

Thanks,
    JT

Quote Originally Posted by phloog View Post
    So can I, without causing errors or miscellaneous aardvark eruptions, MOVE the entire /Fantasy Grounds folder from it's current place to the location listed above on C:

THEN, tell FG that it's there now?
    Yes.

Then, after moving the data and changing the data directory in FG settings, run an update (important).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So...putting my Moron Hat back on...I assume you mean a FG update (done) and not the Windows 10 update that I think caused the problem in the first place?

Note: once this works I'll HAVE to try the Win update, but I live in terror of that.

JT

Blog Entries
    Always copy data rather than moving it in the first instance, once it is verified in the new location remove it from the old.

Thread Information