DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Yet another 5e Effects question

Question 1: In the Wiki, it lists: "ATK: [HLVL], melee, opportunity - will apply half the character's level only to melee opportunity attacks." How does FG know whether an attack is an opportunity attack or not?

Question 2: The XGE has a feature for the new Fighter Archetype, Cavalier called Unwavering Mark. How would I code an effect that would handle this aspect of the Unwavering Mark; "While it is within 5 feet of you, a creature marked by you has disadvantage on any attack roll that doesn't target you." I'm pretty sure we can do nothing about the "within 5 feet" part, but I'm hopeful that we can code the part where "the marked creature has disadvantage against anyone except me" part.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

There is a check box in the modifiers dialog I think which you need to tick off before rolling an opportunity attack to tell FG that this is what is happening.

You will need to create a disadvantage effect and place it on the target. The DM will then need to use the targeting reticule on the CT to drop the effect from the target on all of your allies.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I don't think I've ever used the Modifiers dialogue box before -- either as a player or as a DM. I think none of my DMs have ever used it either. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

"You will need to create a disadvantage effect and place it on the target." No problem there. The problem is when the DM decides to have the target attack me -- without announcing it in time for me to remove the DISATK from the target.
    "The DM will then need to use the targeting reticule on the CT to drop the effect from the target on all of your allies." <-- I'm afraid I'm don't understand how I would do that if I were the DM, and so I don't know how to tell my DM to make it so.

I was hoping there would be some effect syntax that would say, If you're targeting the Cavalier, roll straight, otherwise DISATK.

If it is set up the way I said the target will only get disadvantage if it attacks anyone but you. No need to worry about the DM not telling you.

If you put an effect on an NPC on the CT and then click on the head icon you’ll see a small targeting reticule on the right hand side of the effect line. Click and hold that and drop it on all allies.

Here’s a picture.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/..._DMEffects.jpg
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you for your patience ... I have figured out your instructions, and am now able to place the Unwavering Mark on my target. Some of us bears are of little mind and require extra guidance. Thanks again!

Also, holding the Shift key while making an attack will designate it as an opportunity attack.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Also, holding the Shift key while making an attack will designate it as an opportunity attack.

Regards,
    JPG
    Dammit I knew there was an easier way!

Regarding the Cavalier Mark, you can:

a) Place a custom effect on on the rest of your party+whatever npcs you want to protect. The effect text can be any unrecognized keyword/command, such as 'herpderp' and you can just leave it on them forever.
    b) Place this effect on the creature you are marking. 'Cavalier's Mark; IFT: CUSTOM(herpderp); DISATK'

After you've done a) once, you just use the single effect from b) on creatures you want to mark from now on.

*edit*

The keyword can also be included in a more complex effect, as long as you separate it by a semicolon.

Ex. Here is what I use for Hex, which uses the same principle.
    Last edited by Rhym; December 21st, 2017 at 02:57.

All the effects for the Cavalier and other archetypes from Xanathar can be found here along with videos of how to use them
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...har-Archetypes

Quote Originally Posted by ffujita View Post
    Question 1: In the Wiki, it lists: "ATK: [HLVL], melee, opportunity - will apply half the character's level only to melee opportunity attacks." How does FG know whether an attack is an opportunity attack or not?

Question 2: The XGE has a feature for the new Fighter Archetype, Cavalier called Unwavering Mark. How would I code an effect that would handle this aspect of the Unwavering Mark; "While it is within 5 feet of you, a creature marked by you has disadvantage on any attack roll that doesn't target you." I'm pretty sure we can do nothing about the "within 5 feet" part, but I'm hopeful that we can code the part where "the marked creature has disadvantage against anyone except me" part.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    To apply disadvantage on attacks that don't target you. I have been using this string: "DISATK; IFT: CUSTOM(Unwavering Mark); ADVATK" placed on target, and "Unwavering Mark" placed on you.

Thread Information