5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Considering Purchase, Remote Host?

I am considering in investing time and $$ to fantasy grounds but I need to know if I can remote host first.

So I know this might be surprising but I live in the woods where my internet connection is equivalent to what you'd probaly find in 90's. It's DSL, at times its slow and unrealible and sadly it's my only option.

That said I have an office in town with a great, strong, fast and reliable fiber connection.

As Fantasy Grounds is PTP I need to have a decent connection when GM'ing.

My question is this: Can I take a game setup from my home, plop it on a remote server, connect to it and run the game as if I was sitting at said remote server? Is this possible with FG and are there any licensing issues with trying to run GM in two locations??

I am sure I could figure out VNC and run it from the remote server but I would prefer the first option.

Blog Entries
    Not without using a solution like VNC or TeamViewer.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Fantasy Grounds has been around for over 10 years - so it has frequently been used over DSL connections.

The biggest upload is when players first connect and when you share large maps or new library modules.

Depending what you want to do, you can create a shared cache file for players and make that available for them to download beforehand - helping with the initial connection download.

You can also make sure that image file size (for images you add yourself) is below 1MB to make sharing a (fairly) quick process.

It won't be lightning fast, but with some understanding of how FG works (which we can help you with) you should be able to run a game OK from your home location.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It's situations like this where a web-hosted VTT solution would be more valuable, but team-viewer or some kind of RDP/VNC is what you need to use FG. Personally however it's really a jury rig; each platform has its strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Most of us Australians only have DSL connections...
    Really? You are as far advanced as that?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Really? You are as far advanced as that?
    Yeah, but its a real battle keeping the ****ies (****atoos - birds) from eating the fibre (https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...ia_a_23266479/).

Edit: The damn auto-censor didn't like the word c-o-c-k (as in male bird), so the two words blanked out above are c-o-c-k-i-e-s and c-o-c-k-a-t-o-o-s
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Hah! What a ****-up!