Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

So, if I as a developer was in the enviable position of being able to advise the IP holder how to name their resources, what would be the best practice/preferred/intuitive method for naming rulesets, modules, etc?

And is case a big deal? (I going to be using GitLab for source control, and we'd normally use lower case repository names, well, because ...)

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldarune View Post
    So, if I as a developer was in the enviable position of being able to advise the IP holder how to name their resources, what would be the best practice/preferred/intuitive method for naming rulesets, modules, etc?

And is case a big deal? (I going to be using GitLab for source control, and we'd normally use lower case repository names, well, because ...)

Thanks in advance.
    Are you talking product name, or module file name, or module descriptive name or...? Names show up in a few places, and they don't always need to be the same thing. For instance, file name and the name that shows up n the module activation window can be different.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Sorry. Ruleset file name (for the main rule book), module file names for supplemental books and then campaigns.

There's an internal name (which uniquely identifies the module within FG), a display name (which is shown in the user interface when selecting which content to use), and an author name (which is also shown in the user interface when selecting content).

Usually, the internal name and the display name are the same (unless there's a good reason to be different), and the display name usually matches the name of the physical product it was adapted from. The author name is for specifying the publisher who created the original physical product. This assumes you are creating an adaptation of a physical RPG book to FG.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    There's an internal name (which uniquely identifies the module within FG)
    And that one is case-sensitive right? So if your ruleset is "bt3050.pak", then you need <ruleset>bt3050</ruleset>, or ruleset is "BT3050" and <ruleset>BT3050</ruleset>, but you can't mix case otherwise FG won't join then together correctly right?

Would the convention be that the ruleset name is either an ALL-CAPS abbreviation, or ProperCase, or it does not matter?

The ruleset name is a separate thing. I was just talking about module names above.

For ruleset names, it must be something that is a valid file system file name. We've tended to make them abbreviations to make them easier to see on the campaign selection screen. There is no differentiation between the user interface name and the internal name, it's all the same.

I've usually seen people use all caps (for abbreviations, such as PFRPG/SFRPG) or ProperCase (for words, such as SavageWorlds).

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information