DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... Last

Genesys RPG - Using the Star Wars ruleset to play

Fantasy Flight Games release a new generic RPG system called Genesys on November 30th. This is very similar to their Star Wars RPG systems.

As such, it is possible to play Genesys using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire community ruleset available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...iny-v2-ruleset and a basic extension - attached below.

Clean UI extension available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post369271

Please make sure you run at least version v2.1.1b of the Star Wars ruleset - otherwise you'll have SW options on your character sheet and errors when loading!

Download the Genesys SW Ext file attached to this post, put it in your <FG App Data>\extensions directory, create a new "Star Wars EotE" campaign and enable the "Genesys SW Extension" extension.

What does this do?

Version 1
    • Has all of the base Genesys skills. There is no filter for the campaign setting - remove the ones you don't want. The social and magic skills are all together in the main skill list.
    • Has the different combat skills added to items - so you can match the new skills as needed.
    • Star Wars obligation, duty, morality and plus force info removed from the character sheet.
    • Star Wars logo removed from the desktop.

What it doesn't do!

• It doesn't make the Star Wars ruleset CoreRPG compatible. That will come in time - it is a huge task. Don't ask me when I will do it - the answer is sometime next year, maybe.
    • It uses all of the Star Wars graphics - including the dice symbols. This makes no difference to the roll results.
    • It uses the Star Wars vehicle critical table - this is different to the Genesys table (the SW one is more detailed). I basically couldn't be bothered to change it - if you want do do your own you can use this extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Text-extension
    • Probably lots of stuff - I've only flicked through the Genesys book in the last few hours.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Trenloe; July 10th, 2018 at 08:00.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

How to use it

• Learn how to use the Star Wars EotE ruleset - there are videos and guides in that ruleset thread!
    • Manually enter the character details. If you're using an archetype put the name in the "species" field.
    • Destiny/Luck/Story pools - use the light and darkside chits on the desktop, the mechanics are the same.
    • Make your own items in the campaign data. Or if you really want to go nuts you can make library modules - see the ones here for example of the XML you'll have to manually create: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ibrary-modules
    • For those of you not familiar with the Star Wars EotE ruleset - there is very little automation - the main advantage you have is all of the narrative dice tracking and rolling. That's a major advantage in itself. You can drag/drop damage from the chat window onto a target. There is no other targeting.
    Last edited by Trenloe; December 2nd, 2017 at 03:20.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

(Placeholder)
    Last edited by Trenloe; December 2nd, 2017 at 05:45.

Bravo, Trenloe, bravo! I have been looking forward to the release of Genesys and now with this I will need to run out and grab a copy.

FFG has released the PDF of the Genesys rulebook: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/..._29258/Genesys

Phew!-I had a nasty feeling we were not going to get a pdf version. I hope they have a lot of luck with this one-we need some more meta systems and the narrative dice concept should not be confined to Star Wars.
    Borusa32

I don't know if it's a bug or not but when calculating encumbrance it doesn't total 10 items with encumbrance value of 0 to = 1 encumbrance.

Quote Originally Posted by sevrick View Post
    I don't know if it's a bug or not but when calculating encumbrance it doesn't total 10 items with encumbrance value of 0 to = 1 encumbrance.
    Correct. The base Star Wars ruleset only does calculations against actual encumbrance values.

EDIT: Items with 0 encumbrance will always have 0 encumbrance. The 10 incidental items - 1 encumbrance is actually an optional/loosely defined rule - 20 optional items = 1 enc if carried in a suitable container, or the GM can increase item encumbrance to reflect difficulty of managing and carrying items by less efficient means.

Hence why 10 incidental items = 1 Encumbrance was not implemented in the Star Wars ruleset or the Genesys extension. Thus it gives the GM the flexibility to change item encumbrance as needed.

If you want 10 of something to be 1 encumbrance, then enter 0.1 for the item encumbrance value.
    Last edited by Trenloe; December 17th, 2017 at 07:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Correct. The base Star Wars ruleset only does calculations against actual encumbrance values.

EDIT: Items with 0 encumbrance will always have 0 encumbrance. The 10 incidental items - 1 encumbrance is actually an optional/loosely defined rule - 20 optional items = 1 enc if carried in a suitable container, or the GM can increase item encumbrance to reflect difficulty of managing and carrying items by less efficient means.

Hence why 10 incidental items = 1 Encumbrance was not implemented in the Star Wars ruleset or the Genesys extension. Thus it gives the GM the flexibility to change item encumbrance as needed.

If you want 10 of something to be 1 encumbrance, then enter 0.1 for the item encumbrance value.
    Ok thanks that's what I wanted to know.

Also when doing a Melee (Light) attack I have a weapon that does +3 damage. When I put in the damage for the weapon as 3 it calculates it not as a Brawn +3 + successes, but 3 + successes. Is this just an oversight with the new skill changes for Genesys? Or am I missing something like the 0.1 for encumbrance.

Thread Information