5E Character Create Playlist

Took the Plunge and bought a TV for Face to Face and want to use FG

Hi Folks,
    I just took the plunge and purchased a TCL 49S405 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model). I want to use this in my face to face game leveraging Fantasy Grounds. I did see Trenloe's extension for this. I'm assuming I load that extension and then in type the command "/tvsize 49 4000". One thing I wasn't clear on was to get the grid to show as an inch, is that pretty much trial and error by measuring with a ruler after sharing the image with a player and then Right Click>>choose Double Squares>>chose Single Square? Also, if there isn't another player using a Laptop, how do I display this as I wouldn't want to show the DM view. I'm thinking it would have something to do with connecting again to the Local Host but how do you get that view to show vs. DM view? Any suggestions or insight and any gotchas that people can think of that have done this would also be helpful. Finally, a dumb question (if the previous questions weren't dumb enough - lol), I use FG on my main computer and I do have it on my laptop also. When I run FG on the laptop, does the laptop have a different 'username'/'host address' from my main computer? I would assume that it would have a different one from my main computer. Thanks for any help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dax Doomslayer View Post
    One thing I wasn't clear on was to get the grid to show as an inch...
    That's what the TV size extension does for you - it knows the number of pixels required to make the FG grid 1 inch on the actual TV (based of the /tvsize details you provide). Have a look at the instructions in the extension thread - it's pretty straightforward. Use and gotchas are also discussed in the extension thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-To-Face-games
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks Trenloe. I've got it up and running! One question, is there any way this can be used by me connecting via a localhost and sharing that view of the maps to the players without them seeing me switching between the DM and LocalHost? Or is it the case that really the only way to do this is that I'll need someone else with a laptop connecting to my FG session? I'm thinking it's probably the latter and not the former but figured I'd ask. Thanks as always for your help!

Run two instances on the same computer, with two screens attached to the computer (if you can do this). Display the localhost player instance on the TV and the GM instance on the computer screen. You, as the GM, look at the computer - it's like your GM screen.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'm not sure I follow. Are you talking about using double monitors type of thing? Or is this something else?

Blog Entries
    Extend the display from your computer to your TV, don't duplicate. This will give you two screens/monitors. But your host/GM session on your computer screen and start a second instance of FG (connecting to localhost) and place that on your TV.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

There will always be a GM view and a player view, because the GM needs to control what the players can see and set up everything behind the scenes. In order to make only the player view visible without them ever seeing the GM view, you need to have a separate second display hooked up to your computer. You face the primary display towards the GM, and the second display towards the players.

Some common face-to-face scenarios I've heard:
    * GM runs on laptop/computer with a second display connection to a monitor on the game table with the player view.
    * GM runs on laptop/computer with a second display connection to TV on wall with player view
    * GM runs on laptop/computer with a second display connection to TV built into table with player view
    * GM runs on laptop/computer with each player connecting via laptops or shared laptop

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Dax Doomslayer View Post
    I'm not sure I follow. Are you talking about using double monitors type of thing?
    You have a normal screen for your computer, right? Plus you’re going to connect your new 4K TV to your computer. So you’ll have two screens - use Windows extend as LE mentions and you’ll have your whole Windows desktop spread across both screens. Your original computer screen will show the GM instance of FG and your TV will show the second (player view) instance.

Thanks for the replies folks. @Trenloe this was what I was hoping for. However, I've never done something like this. Do you happen to have a link which walks me through this step by step? I see if you press the Windows + P button, it brings up it brings up the options: 1). PC Only; 2). Duplicate; 3). Extend and 4). Second Screen Only. From there I'd assume I'd pick "Extend". Do I need to be in the 2nd instance of FG (the non-DM one)? Are there other steps beyond this. I've googled this but there's all sorts of stuff that don't seem to fit what I'm trying to do. Thanks for any help you can give. If not, no biggie - I'll just keep going through this Google list - lol...

Blog Entries
    The exact steps are going to depend upon what operating system and version you are using, and sometime even what hardware you are using (especially laptops, as they often have shortcut keys to do this).

But, try going to your Display control panel. Usually the setting is there or under the Screen Resolution option of the Display control panel. Make sure you have both displays hooked up and then you want to "Extend" From there you may be able to set the monitors to different resolutions and you can even drag them around so that maybe you want your second monitor to the top or the left of your main one (that effects how you move the mouse between them).

Once you get to the correct control panel, it's pretty easy to play around with and see how it works.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information