5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Do You Recommend FG to Mac Users?

Howdy Folks,

I've been a Windows guy since 3.1 I think, so I have to admit that most things Mac simply don't register in my brain. Lately, though, I'm slowly trying to put together groups of players for some one-shots, and I'm getting some pushback from Mac users that FG on Mac is just too big a bear to tame.

I have zero experience with this, so curious what the community thinks. It could absolutely just be a misperception (we GURPS players are used to lingering misperceptions), and if so it's one I'd like to clear up for them, but if it's an actual issue I should start taking OS into consideration for player invites.

So, do you recommend Fantasy Grounds to Mac users? Does it work well, or just "good enough"? (I'm assuming 'it doesn't really work isn't an option, since Mac users seem to post frequently).

Thanks!
    How to Be a GURPS GM, author
    Game Geekery, Blog (GURPS combat examples, fillable PDF sheets, rules summaries, campaigns and one-shots, intro for beginners)
    Discord, unofficial GURPS hangout and real-time chat

One of my players uses a Mac, and has been playing successfully with me for almost ten years. There's a bit of extra set-up required, but after that it works very well. There's a very helpful community here that can help out with any issues, too. Have you looked at the stickied thread on running FG on a Mac?

Blog Entries
    Installation is (or can be) more complex.
    I dont think there are any other issues.
    There can be interface workarounds if you dont have a 2 or 3 button mouse...?

A few years ago it was a lot more complex. Now there are Steam and FG website provided installation packages to make it straightforward to setup. The Steam DLC limitations are no longer there either. So, there's really no bear to tame - unless the bear's really cute and keeps marmalade sandwiches under his hat...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I am a Mac guy and it runs great considering it is through wine. It appears to run better then some windows machines i’ve Had it on. I ran a game over the summer on a 10 year old Mac laptop and it ran great. TheMookNet all your players need to do is grab the Mac download from here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/...stallation.php and they should be all set.

Blog Entries
    Using the new Mac installer I installed it on my wife's Mac Air with no problems (and I can barely navigate a Mac) and connected as a player no problem. My brother runs as a player on my games using his Mac with no problems too.

I think (from reading things on the forums here) some of the utilities like the HeroLabs converter may be difficult to use and I believe the DOE Sound extension has trouble being used on a Mac, but it seems to me that for most Mac users' it's little different than running on Windows.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. It sounds like they are operating under old perceptions that no longer match the reality. I've pointed to the Mac-specific threads here on getting set up, the rest is up to them having open minds and giving it a chance.
    How to Be a GURPS GM, author
    Game Geekery, Blog (GURPS combat examples, fillable PDF sheets, rules summaries, campaigns and one-shots, intro for beginners)
    Discord, unofficial GURPS hangout and real-time chat

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    ...I believe the DOE Sound extension has trouble being used on a Mac...
    Just for the record, its not the DOE: Sound itself that is the issue, its the fact that Syrinscape's "3rd Part Integration" (which the DOE: Sound relies upon) does not yet work properly on a Mac.

But closer to the OPs question, one of my Players runs on a MAc and she is NOT a tech guru. Set up was easy and it works very well.

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

I've hosted and connected using a number of Macs (iMac, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air) and FG works fine in all cases. Install is as simple as windows (download file, run it, update) and once it is running it is essentially identical. Only issue I've seen recently is waking from sleep (sometimes the window won't be visible and needs a restart).

Can someone explain the workarounds for 2/3 mice and FG on a Mac? Or link me to where it was discussed?

Thread Information