Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

New GM want to know what to buy

Hey i have been looking for a VVT and found this and have desidet to try it out, i want to play "Out Of the Abyss" whit my friends and are planing to buy the Ultimet lices so they can just join me and dont have to buy the game.
    My question is, sould i buy anything else then the "Out of the Abyss" ekspansion or sould i buy more then that, like the player hand book etc.?

Blog Entries
    Welcome to FG and the forums.

When you buy the standard or ultimate license you will get the 5E SRD and 5E Basic Rules included (free). If you then purchase OotA, you will have everything you need to create basic characters and play the adventure.

This thread will give you a bunch more details. After reading that, let us know what other questions you might have.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...eed-to-play-5e

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by DespicableV View Post
    Hey i have been looking for a VVT and found this and have desidet to try it out, i want to play "Out Of the Abyss" whit my friends and are planing to buy the Ultimet lices so they can just join me and dont have to buy the game.
    My question is, sould i buy anything else then the "Out of the Abyss" ekspansion or sould i buy more then that, like the player hand book etc.?
    Truth is you're getting a gimped version of 5e (the SRD) if you don't buy the "Complete Core Class Pack" (which is the FG version of The Player's Handbook.)

Blog Entries
    Gimped by WotC not Smiteworks just to further clarify.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    I dont think anyone is being gimped. The SRD is bonus data. The Basic Rules are bonus data. Both are distributed freely by the Wizards and FG have done a good conversion and bundled it in (with permission) to all licenses.
    If your players are happy to play the 4 core classes then you need Ultimate+OotA but if they want more options then add the Complete Core Classes (PHB). But as Zacchaeus says - follow that other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I dont think anyone is being gimped.
    The 5e SRD is a FREE, gimped version of 5e. As such, Smiteworks is allowed to include it for FREE. But lets be honest about it--only the most casual of 5e players would actually want to play with only the 5e SRD.

And here we have someone buying an Ultimate License and a long term Adventure path who wants to know whether or not they "should buy anything else." I think a $175 initial investment indicates someone taking a less than casual approach to using this software and playing 5e.

So the simplest answer is, "Yes." They should buy the "Complete Core Class Pack" to get the entire 5e game. Otherwise they will be playing with a gimped, crippled, partial, or incomplete (choose you own adjective) version of 5e.

No reason for anyone to get defensive about it.

Full Bleed, he got defensive because WotC set the parameters of the SRD, not SW. Saying it is 'gimped' (or any adjective) is not fair to SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Bleed View Post
    So the simplest answer is, "Yes." They should buy the "Complete Core Class Pack" to get the entire 5e game.
    I you only buy the "complete core class pack" you are still not playing the 'entire 5e game' because you must also buy all the other expansions that expanded the 5e game. So with only the complete core, by your definition, you are still 'gimped'.

And, people can always put in manually the stuff they want that isn't in the SRD.

Blog Entries
    Im not being defensive.
    Im really impressed with how much free content the wizards did give away for 5e.
    And using the Basic rules and thus staying with the basic classes/races you can play a full length campaign and IMO not be bored.
    Most parties have at least 2 or 3 of those four classes.

I do own the PHB, MM and a couple of 5e adventures.
    Im not sure Ive used the MM in FG yet.
    Physically I have PHB, MM and DMG and a couple of Adventures and Ive never read a page of the DMG.
    I have checked out the artwork in the MM though.

I totally recommend the PHB and an Adventure as the best value 5e purchases but I stand by my comment that the Basic rules and SRD is not gimping anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Full Bleed, he got defensive because WotC set the parameters of the SRD, not SW. Saying it is 'gimped' (or any adjective) is not fair to SW.
    Sure it is. It's gimped. Who did it isn't of much concern to a buyer. What they're getting is. I don't care who wants to chime and and blame WotC for it. That's not the "defensiveness" I was referring to. It's the message I quoted where the assertion was being spun that the 5e SRD wasn't gimped because there was some perceived slight to Smiteworks.

I you only buy the "complete core class pack" you are still not playing the 'entire 5e game' because you must also buy all the other expansions that expanded the 5e game. So with only the complete core, by your definition, you are still 'gimped'.
    That's not "by my definition." You're being disingenuous. Or you haven't used FG's 5e content.

And, people can always put in manually the stuff they want that isn't in the SRD.
    Sure, but that's a whole other can-o-worms that requires a whole lotta hoop-jumping for a new user. Or you can do what too many people around here do and say, "You don't *need* anything else (*wink* *wink*), you get the 5e SRD for free." This is a new FG user who just bought the Ultimate License and Out of the Abyss and wants to play 5e. A new user who specifically asked about whether they should buy the "Player's Handbook."

The OP was looking for a suggestion for what he should buy. I skipped the misdirection with regard to the SRD because, frankly, it doesn't serve Smiteworks to have a user drop $175 on their product thinking that they're getting 5e only to learn that they're getting a gimped version of the game if they rely on the "free" SRD.

Full Bleed, we try to be civil around here -- just a reminder.

You raise good points, but nothing said above was not factual, and it was unemotional until your next to last post. That thread he referenced contained all the facts relevant to a purchasing decision. No one masked the fact that you are only going to get full support of a few classes with the free content provided with a license.

My point you took issue with is a statement-of-fact that the 'entire 5e game' is much bigger than the PHB. Those were your words I quoted, not mine.

However, I am in full agreement with your premise that a guy making entry should generally buy the basic rules content in the cases where the publisher has been stingy with their SRD. (and even in cases where they haven't like PF, subject to their budget).

However again, it is important I think that new users understand this is not SW doing that. Sticker shock of an ultimate entry (especially when Steam and other games have come to define ultimate as everything available for the game platform) is a real problem here, and I think that is why folks try to explain why they aren't getting 'core' materials with their ultimate purchase (or any other license).

I would encourage you to weigh in with your view, but you didn't offer anything that wasn't in that thread referenced. It explained in detail what is and isn't in the SRD. And you made your post in a confrontational fashion to those already posting.

Thread Information