FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Identification Option and Action Tab

is there a way to stop items that are unidentified to appear with the asterisks in the actions tab? its just a dead give away that my players have something more than what i describe it as in game. if anyone knows i would appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    Do they have an unidentified name or is it just blank?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

You just need to add the description you want them to see in that field of the item I believe.

Madman..
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."...MJK... Tool frontman

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Do they have an unidentified name or is it just blank?
    They have a unidentified name but in the actions tab it shows as **steel shield** , i would prefer it to just display “steel shield” as it does in the inventory tab

It is noted like that in the actions tab specifically so that it is clear that the item has not been identified and that it may have properties other that what is stated. I wouldn’t expect players to equip something they hadn’t identified.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    It is noted like that in the actions tab specifically so that it is clear that the item has not been identified and that it may have properties other that what is stated. I wouldn’t expect players to equip something they hadn’t identified.
    Oh man that kind of thing happens all the time!
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

yeah unfortunately the minute they get their hands on something they love to test it out due to the 5e identification rules with "simply holding the item you can sense it has other properties" i guess in that sense the ** notation can simply be a representation of this part of the rule.

i did find that i can delete them myself just have to do it faster than the player see it to really hide that it has other properties.

Side note to that, any time i give them the new item it is automatically equipped and shows on the actions tab? is it not supposed to do this?

I don’t give out magic items from the Party Screen until they have been identified. I’m not sure about the auto equip thing. If the character already has a weapon or armour i’m Not sure it does default to equipped but I can’t test it right now.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I don’t give out magic items from the Party Screen until they have been identified. I’m not sure about the auto equip thing. If the character already has a weapon or armour i’m Not sure it does default to equipped but I can’t test it right now.
    i did try it right now it seems that Armour does not equip automatically but any weapon added does.

ill keep in mind what you do there, for me typically i have my players pick from the loot to account for encumbrance rules so that way every item is accounted for. once my players see the asterisk they usually try to go straight into a short rest to begin identifying or any other means of identifying the item before they want to move on. id prefer to have them experiment or be surprised by effects as they use it. then proceed to rest on what happen at least that would make it more interesting but that format is a dead give away that they have something magical instead of just of high quality.

Thread Information