5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Can someone explain how to create an encounter?

I've read the guides but it never works out right. I drag an NPC out of the NPC window and drop it again in the window. I then open that copy. I change the copies details. Then I drop 3 of them into the encounter window. But even though I've made all three different they after I'm done they are all the same copy again. What am I doing wrong?

Because they're still linked to the original NPC. Make a copy in the NPC window, edit the copy. If you need more than one different NPC, then make more copies and edit each of these. Then drop them onto the encounter, and optionally preposition the NPCs on the map. Normally, at this point I also drop a link onto the map (or into a story entry if the story entry is already linked on the map).

When you're ready to use the encounter, open it, and click on the "add to tracker" button at the bottom. This will add them to the CT, and if prepositioned, will also put the tokens onto the map. They should be ready to use.

Blog Entries
    The only think you can change between instances of an NPC in the Encounter window is the token. Any other differences you want to make need to be made by making a new NPC (as Andraax says). (Though you can change their names once they are added to the CT.)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks that cleared it up

Actually, you can change their name in the encounter window as well. Drag and drop and NPC, change the name. Drag and drop the same (or a different) NPC, change the name. Repeat as often as you need. They will be added to the CT with the edited name from the encounter.

Thread Information