5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thumbs up The UGE-RPG Project

ANNOUNCING The UGE-RPG Project

A FOSD/FOSS Project to develop a truly universal Modular, Pluggable RPG-Framework for a Traditional Role-Playing Game and Game-Engine.

Gaming For Everyone

This is a one-time post that I am pleased to make announcing the creation of the UGE-RPG Project: a Free & Open Source Document and Free & Open Source Software project with the aim of developing a modular, pluggable RPG-Framework for a Traditional (Pen-&-Paper) RPG and Fantasy Grounds Ruleset, Extensions and Modules.

Full details are available from the Project's website (https://github.com/uge-rpg/uge-rpg), including our Mission Statement, How To documents, and a host of other information about the Project.

The Project's discussion list can be found at https://www.freelists.org/list/uge-rpg (email: [email protected]) where we would ask all future discussions take place (so as not to clutter up the FG Lists here).

So if you'd like to leave your mark on the RPG hobby - as a Rules Developer, Programmer, Artist, Cartographer, Editor, Tester, or whatever - then come and join us in developing the UGE-RPG. No matter what your area of expertise and/or interest, we need you and we want you!

Thankyou

- Matthew J Black on behalf of The UGE-RPG Project Team
    Last edited by dulux-oz; November 14th, 2017 at 10:19.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

No thanks I like Fantasy Grounds just fine. Honestly, I think SmiteWorks’ open policy is great but this kind of pushes the limit in my opinion. Love you Dulux but really?

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    No thanks I like Fantasy Grounds just fine. Honestly, I think SmiteWorks’ open policy is great but this kind of pushes the limit in my opinion. Love you Dulux but really?
    I think you've misunderstood - the Project is not a replacement for FG, its a Project to develop a new (tabletop) RPG and the associated FG Ruleset, Extensions and Modules. This is clearly stated in the Project's Mission Statement (here) and also on the ReadMe File (which is the opening page of the Project's website).

Now, if you did not misunderstand, then I'd like to ask you what we're "pushing the limit" on - why is this different from any other Community Developed Ruleset, etc (apart from its explicitly FOSD/FOSS) - because if there's something we need to change then we'd like to know about it?
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    Im not sure which part suggested it was a competitor to FG...
    Nice one Dulux - Ill join up - I dont know how much time Ill have to commit with other projects underway but ya never know...

When I went to the website right after you posted it was completely empty. No documents or anything. Since your post did not mention Fantasy Grounds at all I assumed (but caveated) that it was stand alone effort. Sorry to have misunderstood. It was your italicized first sentence that led me to believe it was independent. Recommend you clarify that it is for Fantasy Grounds. In your post instead of forcing someone to go to a website to figure that out
    Last edited by Bidmaron; November 14th, 2017 at 16:26.

Blog Entries
    My understanding is it's a setting and genre independent RPG system that will have both tabletop and virtual tabletop implementations (that are compatible). In a vague since like WOIN, GURPS, & Savage Worlds. But, free and open source.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

A MoreCore replacement then. I might be willing to help but my sense is the timing should wait until after FGU. I know it will run on FGU but there are implementation decisions you would likely make differently once FGU is out. I don’t see the imperative to do this at this point in time (hopefully within a year or so of FGU maybe)

Blog Entries
    I don't think it's a MoreCore replacement, since this is a game system. At its core its about making a generic set of mechanics that can be used to play fantasy, sci-fi, modern, etc. So the game mechanics have to be defined before a FG ruleset can be done. I imagine FGU will be out by the time the actual game mechanics are defined.

Sure, MC could be used to play it, but MC can be used to play PF, 5E and NEW as well. But those all have their own FG rulesets.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    A MoreCore replacement then. I might be willing to help but my sense is the timing should wait until after FGU. I know it will run on FGU but there are implementation decisions you would likely make differently once FGU is out. I don’t see the imperative to do this at this point in time (hopefully within a year or so of FGU maybe)
    Why? Rulesets are mostly expected to continue to work post FGU.

I have no knowledge of what they are planning for FGU beyond what they have said (and probably don't remember that very well), but say they decided in FGU to break out traps/obstacles and vehicles from NPCs, this would influence the way you built your generic ruleset.

We know they are going to support more layers in maps, so maybe you decide your generic ruleset provides token slots for upright, prone, sitting.

We don't know what they will do in FGU. IT will undoubtedly change a lot of things in existing rulesets.

I guess you have to bite the bullet sometime though....

Thread Information