DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Steam Purchase Questions

I have both PC and MacBook, and I'm looking for a way to purchase FG2 in order to use on both.

Is the best way to do this through Steam? I'm assuming yes.

If so, will I still need to have the WINE app in order to install on MacBook?

Is there a way to purchase through the website, and then install through Steam? (At a glance, the DND package is actually cheaper through the website rather than through Steam)

Thank You for any help you can provide

For your situation (using a Mac): Do not buy DLC on Steam, it won't download to a Mac - the DLC is listed as Windows only. But you can get the base license on Steam and use on Mac.

I'd recommend purchasing your base license on Steam so that you get the Wine wrapper all packaged up. Then buy your DLC/add ons here on the website. The purchases here will install (via the FG update process) on both Windows and Mac in the Steam version fine. Steam is actually just a wrapper that launches the base FG application - the same as you'd run outside of Steam.
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 13th, 2017 at 15:32.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Any BASE licenses bought on Steam will work with the downloadable installer here.
    Any BASE license purchases bought here will get synced to Steam approx every 6 weeks.
    For the Mac - if you want the simple install the Steam install is the way to go. If you are comfortable with Wineskin or similar then you can buy here and do a manual install - several sets of instructions can be found here.

DLC purchases are not synced in any way between the two stores.
    It is best to buy your DLC in one store only and keep all your purchases in the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    DLC purchases are not synced in any way between the two stores.
    It is best to buy your DLC in one store only and keep all your purchases in the same place.
    Are you saying that if I buy the DLC from the store, they will not sync to my steam version on the macbook? Or are you just saying that I can'd DL them there?

As you're using a Mac, don't buy the DLC from Steam. The base license is fine, but the DLC on Steam is not Mac compatible and will only download to a Windows PC.

If you buy from the Store it will download to both Windows and Mac.

1) Windows PC: downloads purchases from FG web store and Steam.
    2) Mac computer: only downloads purchases from the FG web store, not Steam.
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 13th, 2017 at 15:35.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    As you're using a Mac, don't buy the DLC from Steam. The base license is fine, but the DLC on Steam is not Mac compatible and will only download to a Windows PC.

If you buy from the Store it will download to both Windows and Mac.
    Ok. I will purchase the base license through Steam, then the DLC from the online store. Then, the DLC should sync to my macbook version through Steam.

If I have this incorrect, please just let me know, but I think I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnySweatpants View Post
    Ok. I will purchase the base license through Steam, then the DLC from the online store. Then, the DLC should sync to my macbook version through Steam.

If I have this incorrect, please just let me know, but I think I got it.
    The terminology is incorrect, but the end result is correct.

As mentioned above, Steam is just a wrapper to running the same Fantasy Grounds application. It works exactly the same way whether you bought from Steam or from the FG webstore.

- Windows installations of FG check both the FG web store and Steam for DLC purchase history and install/update those products.
    - Macs (even those installations made via Steam) cannot check the Steam store for purchase history, so will only install/update purchases made on the FG web store.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The terminology is incorrect, but the end result is correct.

As mentioned above, Steam is just a wrapper to running the same Fantasy Grounds application. It works exactly the same way whether you bought from Steam or from the FG webstore.

- Windows installations of FG check both the FG web store and Steam for DLC purchase history and install/update those products.
    - Macs (even those installations made via Steam) cannot check the Steam store for purchase history, so will only install/update purchases made on the FG web store.
    Once I launch FG through Steam, on my macbook, can I manually update through FG 'settings' to get the DLC there? Assuming that the DLC purchases were done on the FG web store.

I'm sorry, but this seems terribly convoluted....

This is what you need to do:

1) Purchase Fantasy Grounds through Steam.
    2) Install on your Windows and Mac computers through Steam.
    3) Buy any DLC/add ons only from the FG Web Store. Always associate purchases with the same FG website account - in your case "JonnySweatpants".
    4) On both of your installs: open Fantasy Grounds, click the settings button and enter your FG website username (JonnySweatpants) and password and then run an update.
    5) The update process on both computers will access your purchases on the FG web store and download/update the products you own.

Thank You all for the help.

I have installed and updated everything with no problems! Looking forward to learning FG and then using for my campaigns.

Thread Information