5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 6 of 7 First ... 4567 Last
    That makes sense. When I tried it, though, I got a Script error message: "Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_combat.lua"]:836: addToken: Parameter 1 is not the name of a valid image."

Now, I did change the name of the map, but since you can change the name of a Word document, and not break everything inside it, I didn't think that would be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithalwulf View Post
    Now, I did change the name of the map, but since you can change the name of a Word document, and not break everything inside it, I didn't think that would be a problem.
    Don't change the name of the map file - this will mean that FG sees it as a new map and you will lose any references to the old file name - which is why you are seeing this error.

You can change the map name inside Fantasy Grounds, but don't change the actual file name if you have anything referencing it.

And, yes, you can change the name of a word document and not break anything *inside that document*. If anything inside or outside of word was referencing the old document name then that reference would be broken. This is what you are seeing in FG - changing the map name inside FG is fine, changing the map file name outside of FG (i.e the file itself in windows) is not fine.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Okay, got it. Yes, I changed it in the folder on the computer, not in FG. (Good analogy by the way.) So, when I create an Encounter under the Encounters Button, is it always tied to a specific map? If so, do I need to delete my encounter and rebuild it on the 'new' map? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    At this point, yes, I would delete it and redo it on the “new” map.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Quote Originally Posted by Mithalwulf View Post
    Okay, got it. Yes, I changed it in the folder on the computer, not in FG. (Good analogy by the way.) So, when I create an Encounter under the Encounters Button, is it always tied to a specific map? If so, do I need to delete my encounter and rebuild it on the 'new' map? Thanks in advance.
    The encounter itself is not tied to any map, but the token placement within an encounter is tied to a specific map.

You don't need to delete the encounter, but you do need to re-do the token placement. Click the tick/check marks for each token to remove the placement and show the token, then re-drag this token to the map to assign the preplacement information to the new map.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hey guys. I am returning to the game after approximately 33 years away :-) I have a niece who is very interested in it and I plan on DMing for her, paper & pencil, old school.

We purchased a starter set and I have started going through the player’s manual and looking at some of the online resources to learn how to play the game again. Obviously, it’s a pretty complex game.

I saw some of the online games being run here. If I am basically a noob, what do you feel I need to do to learn the game well enough from the player’s side to create a character and join a low-level online game? I figure I would like to run as a player for several sessions to help me as I try to DM for my nieces and my brother IRL.

Thanks a million, guys. I like the potential I see here at FG.

Lord Thomas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Thomas View Post
    Hey guys. I am returning to the game after approximately 33 years away :-) I have a niece who is very interested in it and I plan on DMing for her, paper & pencil, old school.

We purchased a starter set and I have started going through the player’s manual and looking at some of the online resources to learn how to play the game again. Obviously, it’s a pretty complex game.

I saw some of the online games being run here. If I am basically a noob, what do you feel I need to do to learn the game well enough from the player’s side to create a character and join a low-level online game? I figure I would like to run as a player for several sessions to help me as I try to DM for my nieces and my brother IRL.

Thanks a million, guys. I like the potential I see here at FG.

Lord Thomas
    So you're looking to learn what you need to play p&p and not with FG? 5E is not that different from the D&D you left, not at its core. Sure their are lots of different rules and such, but conceptually it's very similar. Just read the Basic Rules and read through the adventure. Don't get caught up in the rules, just have fun.

For lots of more advice, I've put together a thread with lots of links. Some of them are designed for new DM's and new players, go for those. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...6014-GM-Advice

If you need FG advice, let us know and we can point you in that direction as well.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    How old is your niece?
    I have found that Dungeon World as well as being great for adults is also a lot easier for younger players to pick up.
    And at its heart it is very true to Fantasy RP roots and is riddled with fantasy tropes.

Otherwise 5e is a great system and plays easily with some nice mechanics.

Thanks, guys.

I’m already feeling a little better as I read through the character classes.

When I’m ready I’ll probably roll a character and try to get into one of these games to re-acclimate myself well.

A good place to get online help and classes is the FG college.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...and-then-play!
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information