Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

Newbie Questions

Sorry if these have been addressed before, but I did a search and could not find the info. (I'm surprised there's not a newbie thread, so that guys like me don't keep asking the same questions!)

1) If I buy an ultimate membership, one-time pricing, is it the one fee (currently $149) literally ONE time forever?

2) I'm interested in D&D 5e. What does all this mean: "5E SRD 5, D&D Basic Rules, FATECore, PFRPG"?

3) This probably relates to the above, but: if I get an ultimate membership, will my players be able to select any of the player races and classes in the published books (e..g., Aasimar, Goliath, etc.)

4) The video and one online make it look super easy for players. How easy is it for the DM? Is there a lot of programming and such?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Mithalwulf, And Wecome! to the Community,

1. Yes, its a one-time purchase. However, there is a new version (we don't know when it'll be released) which will have some sort of "sliding scale" of pricing for existing owners of the product - the publishers haven't decided on exact details yet. But I purchased my copy back in late 2011 and haven't paid a thing extra for all the updates that have come through since.
    2. You can play lots of differ3ent RPGs with FG - that list is a list of some of the Rulesets (RPG systems) that you can play. Google each term for lots & lots of details.
    3. The only difference between the Ultimate License and the Standard license is that the Ultimate allows any license to connect, while the Standard license only allows Players with Standard (or Ultimate) license to connect - NOT Demo Licenses. There is NO extra DLC Content between the two licenses.
    4. You only need to program if you want to change things ie house rules, etc.

If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few - and a Shameless™ Self Plug).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Hi Mithalwulf welcome to FG.

1. Yes
    2. SRD is the System Reference Document for 5e which is the Open Gaming License from Wizards. It details the bits of the 5e books that third parties can use to create adventures for 5e. The SRD comes free with your license and is a cut down version of the Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual and Dungeon Master’s Guide. FATE Core is another ruleset and PFRPF is Pathfinder basically D&D 3.5 with more bits.
    3. Best answer is no, The Ultimate license allows you to have players connect to your game with only a demo version of FG. Other than the SRD it does not include the Core rulebooks or any of the adventures or published material such as Sword Coast Adventure Guide and Volos Guide where some of those races you mention are to be found. You can built characters with the SRD but most of the options are not included in it. Only the PHB has all of the options and all of the DLC such as the PHB are additional purchases.
    4. If you are going to be running published adventures everything is included for you in the adventure module. If you want to create your own content you can do all of it within FG. There is no programming required but you will have to learn how to use the software.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Bummer. So, basically, if someone wants to play one of the races or classes NOT in the SRD, the electronic version of the book(s) need to be purchased. Once purchased, then they are "added" to the options available to players? Is that correct?

If that is correct, then if I purchase the book in question, with an Ultimate membership, can my players then access the races and classes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mithalwulf View Post
    Bummer. So, basically, if someone wants to play one of the races or classes NOT in the SRD, the electronic version of the book(s) need to be purchased. Once purchased, then they are "added" to the options available to players? Is that correct?

If that is correct, then if I purchase the book in question, with an Ultimate membership, can my players then access the races and classes?
    The SRD is essentially a cut down version of the PHB as far as character creation is concerned. All the classes are there and all the races from the PHB are there but you just don't get as many options for things like class archetypes or backgrounds or any of the other stuff that makes the characters complete.

As the DM you can buy the PHB and then share that with your players - just like you would with the paper version. So, yes, if you own the PHB then all of your players will have everything they need. Note that the PHB doesn't 'add' to the SRD. Both are stand alone modules; everything that is in the SRD is alos in the PHB so you only ever need the PHB if you own it.

Finally note that your players, if they are feeling generous, might want to contribute to the purchase of the PHB and they can do so via gifting through the store or Steam - or of course just put some cash into your PayPal account
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Note that they will have to be connected to your ultimate account to use the purchased content. If they want to see it while offline, they will have to own their own copy.

They can view their character sheet once they make it while offline though.

Blog Entries
    Note, you don't need to buy the FG versions of the books to use information from your physical copies. Each player can just type in the info manually. I recommend buying the FG versions, but it is not required.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for all the replies. They are very helpful. Can the electronic copies of books be purchased at DNDBeyond or do they have to be purchased through FG?

Blog Entries
    DnDBeyond "books" are different than FG "books". You can not use what you purchase in FG on DDB and you can't use DDB purchases in FG. Though the words are the same, the content and format are completely different.

Now, FG you can manually enter any info you want from a printed book or from looking at DDB info. Don't know if you can do the same with DDB.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I have the Ultimate membership, but no books yet, and my group and I are torn between Roll 20 and FG. Is there anyone with the PHB that might be willing to host a few people in a Friday night, so we can see what the options look like from the player's side, and maybe run us through a combat or two? I'm hoping to persuade folks to go for FG! (Friday is our standing game night.)

Thread Information