STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last
    Client-Server architect - yes this means I have to deal with port forwarding
    Roll 20...doesnt require any network setup.
    This sounds complicated it. Is it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithalwulf View Post
    For the vast majority of people, no it's not. For most people (~99%??) they never have to worry about it and their system handles it automatically. Most of the others (~80%?? of the remaining ~1%) that need to do something can follow instructions here on the forums and all they need to do is a few steps on the modem/router and they are good. A few (and I mean 1 or 2 people a month) need more help than that (and occasionally need a VPN solution). There are several network gurus on the forums that will work real-time to help those few people using web conferencing or other tools to get people setup.

So, if you end being one of the tiny minority, I wouldn't stress even if you know nothing about networking. Just post on the help forums and follow the instructions people send you or ask if someone can walk you through it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithalwulf View Post
    It generally only matters if you travel for work and are the DM. For players, it never matters.

There are a few places where the internet provider shares IP addresses or where has run out of IPv4 addresses and only hands out ipv6 addresses. There are Work around for that.

I would not worry that much about it, but you asked for honest information and SmiteWorks is not afraid to discuss areas where there could be issues and allows such discussions here.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Okay, so I've purchased my package and some books. I created a campaign, logged back in, and...I can't find my campaign. What am I doing wrong?? I click on Load Campaign, and it is not there. I click on Join Game, and it is not there. (Note: I just switched from my wife's PC to my Mac. That seemed to go okay...)

Blog Entries
    Campaigns are saved in a local folder, so you need to make sure you are on the same machine you started it with. You can move it from machine to machine, you just need to copy the folder.

You cannot save with a demo account, so you need to make sure you are logged in and the license key is entered.

The first thing to do, assuming you are properly logged in, is to navigate to the campaign folder. From the starting page in FG, you should see a file folder icon. Click it and then look in the campaigns folder. Is there a folder there with your campaign name?
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Yes! Do I just copy this and put it on the new computer?

Check to make sure that where you put your data folder is in a place where you have full read/write access. The default location is C:/Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds. You can find out where your data folder is by clicking the small folder icon on the top right of the start screen. In there you will find a folder called campaigns and within that should be a folder for all of the campaigns which you start.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Check to make sure that where you put your data folder is in a place where you have full read/write access. The default location is C:/Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds. You can find out where your data folder is by clicking the small folder icon on the top right of the start screen. In there you will find a folder called campaigns and within that should be a folder for all of the campaigns which you start.
    The default can vary from OS and from Install time.
    Stick with using the Folder Icons within FG to find the path.

Blog Entries
    Basically, you just copy it from one computer to another. This is where cloud drives are ok (in general) or USB and sneaker net or whatever arcane science you use to move files (email it is another option).

You now may be thinking - I will just use a cloud drive and point both computers to it. Don’t do that, there is a good chance that a file write operation gets cached and your file will get corrupted. Always run the game and create off of a local file. Use cloud drives to back-up or to move files.

As the much more powerful Z! noted, you need to make sure you have read/write access to whatever folder you use.

Looks like it made it fine. Thanks guys.

Thread Information