DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Quote Originally Posted by TheMookNet View Post
    WOW, that is one helluva resource, HalC -- thanks!
    Figured someone might like it. That you went and found the Gutenberg Press version is even BETTER. Now I'll have to download that into my Kindle.

If anyone needs help with their own campaign and wants me to do some research via my Enclyclopedia of the Old West, let me know. As it is, I've taken to reading Everyday Life in the Wld West as well as Everyday life in the 1800's...

This is from Writers Guide to Everyday Life in the Wild West from 1840 - 1900 pg 293: (1867) Buffalo Bill Cody receives $500 per month to kill 12 buffalo each day along the Kansas Pacific Railroad route. Army Private makes $16 a month. After deductions, pay is $14.875.

Elsewhere, I stumbled over the fact the early Income Taxes levied in the 1860's were calculated at 3% Income was taxed only after it met a certain criteria, which I'd have to find again were I to try and implement it. I'd also have to try and find out when the income tax was discontinued historically speaking.

THE NEW ENCYCLOPEDIA of the AMERICAN WEST (the book is 1254 pages without the index or acknowledgements of contributors) is a very useful book containing a plethora of entries on varied topics that will cause you to say "I didn't know THAT!". Names of people, former Spanish names of rivers in California. Information on how Wyoming Territory was constructed from its neighboring territories - and almost demolished in 1872 by President Grant (who wanted the territory dismantled and parts of reforming with their original territories).

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Trelane View Post
    Good stuff, I think Okd West would be great, straight historical (tons of interesting material even without fantasy or pulp thrown in).

You might throw this into the mix for all those wagon train resources you listed: https://syrinscape.com/store/147-wag...ney-highlands/

Good tip by Mook about finding the image first and statting up second.
    I have always wished that I could play a sound across Fantasy Grounds from my MP3 files or what have you. Syrinscape sounds (pun not intended!) to be able to do just that. Problem is, I don't know how that would work with Fantasy Grounds.

Have you been using it and if so, how?

Quote Originally Posted by HalC View Post
    I have always wished that I could play a sound across Fantasy Grounds from my MP3 files or what have you. Syrinscape sounds (pun not intended!) to be able to do just that. Problem is, I don't know how that would work with Fantasy Grounds.

Have you been using it and if so, how?
    Gwydion has explained how to broadcast sounds generated by Syrinscape and other sources via a free website (currently compatible only with Chrome) called Cleanfeed. I use this setup and it works well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZf9RXvKU5s&t=29s

You can also broadcast sounds directly from Syrinscape Online (see here: https://www.syrinscape.com/online/ ), which may only be available to higher-level subscribers. It's in the beta stage and is somewhat tricky to use but I think will improve over time. I prefer the Cleanfeed method, above, since it allows me to mix sounds from YouTube, Tabletop Audio, and other sources.

There's a certain measure of complexity involved in learning the audio tools but I think it's quite worthwhile. For me, adding sound is just as impactful as adding images to a game.

Running: The One Ring and GUMSHOE--Esoterrorists (on hold); intermittently Fiasco and DramaSystem/Hillfolk
    Want to play: Pendragon, City of Mist, Dresden Files RPG, Orpheus, Changeling, Apocalpse World and more PbtA, Bluebeards Bride, Shadows of Esteren; anything by Bully Pulpit Games

Thanks for the heads up.

I can't help but wonder if any "streaming" application will permit one to stream music/sound files over the net without needing a lot of extra software. I sincerely hope that FG someday incorporates the ability to use Visual Suite software (either of c++ or VB.NET) to permit one to write software code that exports directly to the chat or to the story, or to anything else for that matter. I've already written some software code that exports data to the clipboard. From there, it is a simple matter of pasting it to the location you want it. But if one can write to the db.xml file and have it show up in game play, I'd be all for it. I've experimented with it to be sure and found that it doesn't seem to "take" when I modify the file directly. Ah well, over time, I suspect that Fantasy Grounds will grow in capabilities and someday, it will have a sound suite to go with it, and possibly even allow video to be played (MP4's perhaps?) - but until that day arrives, we make do with what we have and have fun.

Thanks for the heads up.

I can't help but wonder if any "streaming" application will permit one to stream music/sound files over the net without needing a lot of extra software. I sincerely hope that FG someday incorporates the ability to use Visual Suite software (either of c++ or VB.NET) to permit one to write software code that exports directly to the chat or to the story, or to anything else for that matter. I've already written some software code that exports data to the clipboard. From there, it is a simple matter of pasting it to the location you want it. But if one can write to the db.xml file and have it show up in game play, I'd be all for it. I've experimented with it to be sure and found that it doesn't seem to "take" when I modify the file directly. Ah well, over time, I suspect that Fantasy Grounds will grow in capabilities and someday, it will have a sound suite to go with it, and possibly even allow video to be played (MP4's perhaps?) - but until that day arrives, we make do with what we have and have fun.
    Regarding auto sounds, they are partly possible with Dulux Oz’s sound extension. See extensive discussion here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ht=Dulux+sound

Running: The One Ring and GUMSHOE--Esoterrorists (on hold); intermittently Fiasco and DramaSystem/Hillfolk
    Want to play: Pendragon, City of Mist, Dresden Files RPG, Orpheus, Changeling, Apocalpse World and more PbtA, Bluebeards Bride, Shadows of Esteren; anything by Bully Pulpit Games

Quote Originally Posted by TheMookNet View Post
    Second was to make tokens, again for PCs and NPCs alike. For that, I simply dragged the pics into this amazing token tool to make hex-shaped tokens for everyone.
    That is an awesomely useful tool.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up.

Writing directly to the DB is possible but mostly pointless when the game is running as FG loads the DB into memory and runs it from there and periodically (5mins) writes a copy back to the disk. So if FG is running and you make changes to the db.xml they will just get overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Trelane View Post
    Regarding auto sounds, they are partly possible with Dulux Oz’s sound extension. See extensive discussion here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ht=Dulux+sound
    Thanks for the link - which in turn had other links. The issue with bandwidth is of course, something to consider. The problem too is that if I use a non-VOIP mechanism, the players all have to have the Syrinscape package plus sounds on their machine as well - causing them to have to pay money for that prospect. I don't use VOIP with Fantasy Grounds (chat only) due to having been born with nerve damage to my ears (Last of the Babies born before the RH factor was discovered and compensated for). But, if the newer FG ever gets built with inherent sound, I'm sure that all of these work arounds will be made obsolete. I confess too, that until I get a paying job again (and hopefully SOON!) I have to keep expenses to a minimum where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Writing directly to the DB is possible but mostly pointless when the game is running as FG loads the DB into memory and runs it from there and periodically (5mins) writes a copy back to the disk. So if FG is running and you make changes to the db.xml they will just get overwritten.
    I was afraid of that. Looks like sending the material to the clip board is about the only work around I can manage. Too bad there isn't a means to send material through a pipe into the environment. In all fairness? I need to start working on learning to use Lua - this way, I can maybe create the things that I really want. You have no idea how excited I was to see the ext file that permits the use of "cards" in game play. When I added that into my FG set up, I could see it being used for poker or faro. When the cards table can be used in FG along with the gambling rules for use with GURPS - in conjunction with the "Cheating" rules from Aces and Eights... that has possibilities.

In keeping with what I've been doing upthread...

Here is a link to information on land prices, wages, etc in the various states. Think you might find it informative.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...view=1up;seq=1

The site linked above won't let you download the PDF, but you can eventually find it at Google Books (it's going to require patience!). I would save people the effort and post the link here, but the link is god awful long!

This isn't a resource just for the old west per se, but also of things in the East. It also spells out the terms for renting land to the extent that a person might pay a set fee, owe 50% of what he makes off the land, but the renter may provide him with half the seed stock, etc. Some pretty GOOD stuff there folks.

Thread Information