DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 6 of 9 First ... 45678 ... Last
    Nice!
    I look forward to it. I've been tagged by my group to run the Dragon Heist/Mad Mage series when it comes out, so I am looking to see what I can prep ahead of time.

Awesome. That is exactly why I am working on getting these out asap. I also plan to update anything i release based on what comes out in Dragon Heist/Mad Mage. I will probably try to write a side quest or two for it as well.

DMs Guild Products: Waterdeep primer, Waterdeep Fantasy Grounds Module
    Current GM Games: DnD 5E Forgotten Realms, DnD 5E Tal'Dorei
    Current Projects: Waterdeep Battlemaps
    Systems of Interest: DnD 5E, 7th Sea
    Random Musing: https://www.jasonhardin.com

I hope I'm not going too far off topic.
    What materials would you suggest for someone who was going to try and get everything for Waterdeep?
    I plan to combine as much data as I can into Realmworks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimco View Post
    I hope I'm not going too far off topic.
    What materials would you suggest for someone who was going to try and get everything for Waterdeep?
    I plan to combine as much data as I can into Realmworks.
    I would see what JRH recommends, but first you really don't want to collect everything... Lots of official products contradict each other in small ways, and much of it is specific for a given time period. I honestly really like what Jason has done with his Waterdeep Primer on the DMsGuild, so I would start there. Then other than just gaining a general familiarity, I would only add specific bits as you need them.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Wow, sorry that I missed this discussion...

This was the focal point for a campaign that I ran for about year - it ended close to 2 years ago, I guess.

My final eval is that Waterdeep is simply too big to be very easy to manage as a GM. It would have been insane to try to manage this with pages of paper, so FG made it a lot closer to usable. The biggest point of pain is that FG isn't searchable and doing something simple, like finding a nearby bar, was a nightmare. I think that I was considering making copies of the map and repinning it based on business types - but never got around to it. Anyone rolling their own should really consider business themed maps to use as quick guides.

I believe that my players actually didn't much like the place due to the lengthy walks / rides and the magnitude of the city is a bit imposing.

Entering it by hand will kill 3 -5 weekends or so. I was not crazy enough to enter stat-blocks or to do anything much more than pin locations. Mechanically, I needed a few places more fully flushed out, but for the most part it was just like a big movie lot - looking good, but nobody home. It was a big set piece for the Tyranny of Dragons.

The map... I found it on a forum somewhere. I don't remember what the source of it was. It was too busy for my liking, but it was clean and large enough for the purpose.

Anyhow, I made my own version of it - and don't think a lot of it, primarily due to technical limitations.

EDIT: I saw Realmworks mentioned. First, load a Waterdeep map in. I think that you will find that Realmworks is not up to the task unless you work in sections. And who wants to do that?

Last edited by Topdecker; October 1st, 2018 at 05:29. Reason: Flying the bird at Realmworks

That is an awesome map. That is what I am currently working on as a module for dms guild. I am inputting all the buildings as story pages, all the guilds and noble houses. Then I am creating some generic stats blocks for the npcs I can find in pas WoTC waterdeep products.

Your idea for separate maps by location type is. Rilliant and I will make sure to implement it. I already have all of the story pages categorized.

i have made all of this some what time manageable by creating various programs to turn large amounts of data into fg xml. Hopefully I will have something done by end of month and up for sales on dms guild.

Oh yeah my other plan is to also link the map up with the fg waterdeep dragon heist map. This way you get a higher quality map if you have already purchased that map.

Inns / Taverns / Entertainment would be a good sub-map. Adventurer-specific businesses (smithy, weapon makers, etc) would also be nice.

Another category would be a points of interest maps - maybe even limit to recognizable features, things that help navigation. I visited Barcelona as young man and constantly used the cathedral to keep a sense of where I was in the city.

The discord invite link doesnt work. This is the third or fourth time ive tried to join it and the invite just spins and spins in the web browser

Thread Information