STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 9 First ... 23456 ... Last

Quote Originally Posted by jrh18 View Post
    The map that Mad_Car_1 put all the pins in is the Waterdeep map that you can use as free stock art in DMs Guild. So you should consider posting that to DMs guild. Being the aspiring author that
    LordEntrails mentioned I am definitely working on materials for updating Waterdeep to 5e and adding my own flare to it. I have been running a campaign set in Waterdeep for about 6 months now. I got sidetracked building a npcs creator that generates an npc like you would a PC and creates a stats block.

My plan for Waterdeep and DmsGuild is to create a framework for Waterdeep and then release smaller documents about various aspects of the city as additional information. Then eventually create a full Waterdeep FG module and bundle of all the documents. This way if Mad_Car_1 published his map to DMS guild you could use that if you wanted, or the one I created that is updated for 5e and SWAG. There is also a product on DMS guild that is about the City watch for 5e. It is really well done.

Let me know if there are areas of the city you would like expanded on. My initial focus will be on the noble families. I published an excel version of the old web enhancement for the nobles of Waterdeep pdf (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/238...f&test_epoch=0). I also expanded it a little to show what type of lifestyle each family is currently funded for. I use this to help determine which families feud with which other families, and which may have fallen from grace or risen.

The stuff I plan to put up in the future will have a price on it, not sure how much yet, but it shouldn't be too expansive. I have to pay off the laptop I bought to run FG on .
    I'm very much interested in the guilds and such. Let me know if you need help. I have physical copies of 90% of the published information on waterdeep from 1st-3rd edition and am down to help contribute to this project

Cool let me get a draft outline of the framework done and I can send a copy your way. Then you can determine which parts of the framework you are interested in creating content about. The goal for sure is to allow this to be a potential community development with different authors adding ideas about Waterdeep.

DMs Guild Products: Waterdeep primer, Waterdeep Fantasy Grounds Module
    Current GM Games: DnD 5E Forgotten Realms, DnD 5E Tal'Dorei
    Current Projects: Waterdeep Battlemaps
    Systems of Interest: DnD 5E, 7th Sea
    Random Musing: https://www.jasonhardin.com

Cool let me get a draft outline of the framework done and I can send a copy your way. Then you can determine which parts of the framework you are interested in creating content about. The goal for sure is to allow this to be a potential community development with different authors adding ideas about Waterdeep.
    Its just so massive that a project of that magnitude coups really use a team

For me, I'm looking for the area around the Adventurer's Quarter to be enhanced.

MenzelG. I will look into that. I actually am not sure what that area is of Waterdeep, so if you have any references I can read about it in that would be useful.

DMs Guild Products: Waterdeep primer, Waterdeep Fantasy Grounds Module
    Current GM Games: DnD 5E Forgotten Realms, DnD 5E Tal'Dorei
    Current Projects: Waterdeep Battlemaps
    Systems of Interest: DnD 5E, 7th Sea
    Random Musing: https://www.jasonhardin.com

The map that Mad_Car_1 put all the pins in is the Waterdeep map that you can use as free stock art in DMs Guild. So you should consider posting that to DMs guild. Being the aspiring author that
    LordEntrails mentioned I am definitely working on materials for updating Waterdeep to 5e and adding my own flare to it. I have been running a campaign set in Waterdeep for about 6 months now. I got sidetracked building a npcs creator that generates an npc like you would a PC and creates a stats block.

My plan for Waterdeep and DmsGuild is to create a framework for Waterdeep and then release smaller documents about various aspects of the city as additional information. Then eventually create a full Waterdeep FG module and bundle of all the documents. This way if Mad_Car_1 published his map to DMS guild you could use that if you wanted, or the one I created that is updated for 5e and SWAG. There is also a product on DMS guild that is about the City watch for 5e. It is really well done.

Let me know if there are areas of the city you would like expanded on. My initial focus will be on the noble families. I published an excel version of the old web enhancement for the nobles of Waterdeep pdf (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/238...f&test_epoch=0). I also expanded it a little to show what type of lifestyle each family is currently funded for. I use this to help determine which families feud with which other families, and which may have fallen from grace or risen.

The stuff I plan to put up in the future will have a price on it, not sure how much yet, but it shouldn't be too expansive. I have to pay off the laptop I bought to run FG on .
    I'm looking for a map of the city with pins in nearly every building so you can easily click on any location the PCs visit. We could flesh out each location from existing published materials, make some new ones up to fill the gaps, and just include the name and tiny bit of info on those locations which aren't as heavily detailed. I would think this would really be the foundation you need before starting anything else in Waterdeep. To get the ball rolling you really have to just "open the gates" and let the PCs explore. After that we'd all be encouraged and inspired to look up and start xferring content to a new mod. The question is- how would such a large group work in tandem without things getting too fouled up- especially when working on a mod. Perhaps FG needs a new setting where everyone can log in just like you would if you were a player but everyone gets GM/DM access to everything so multiple people can edit at once on the same campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by AAWGAMES View Post
    I'm looking for a map of the city with pins in nearly every building so you can easily click on any location the PCs visit. We could flesh out each location from existing published materials, make some new ones up to fill the gaps, and just include the name and tiny bit of info on those locations which aren't as heavily detailed. I would think this would really be the foundation you need before starting anything else in Waterdeep. To get the ball rolling you really have to just "open the gates" and let the PCs explore. After that we'd all be encouraged and inspired to look up and start xferring content to a new mod. The question is- how would such a large group work in tandem without things getting too fouled up- especially when working on a mod. Perhaps FG needs a new setting where everyone can log in just like you would if you were a player but everyone gets GM/DM access to everything so multiple people can edit at once on the same campaign.
    So that's kinda the idea i had, on a full continent scale, but i think id need to pitch it to WOTC which could then be seamlessly provided to A) a website and B) any VTT. They could really set this up using a Rest API and we could just code, within the modules, to remotely pull the information dynamically from them. This would enable a living world where, as events happen the responses returned from the API could be changed, so... example if we were playing in the time of the Netherese for example. One day our API calls and we get results of the locations of all the Flying Enclaves, the next day Karsus had cast his Avatar and they've now all fallen, so the API returns results of where some of them crashed some just return a message that the enclave can no longer be found.

WOTC could charge a monthly subscription for this (which id happily pay, i mean they're still a business so they need to be able to make money, i get it) users could log into the WOTC website for it and use the map and NPC functions of this, but they could also enable sites or software like, Twitch, Fantasy Grounds, and THAT OTHER VTT. Users would log into the portal of their choice which would have an associated WOTC account and each would have an oAuth token to grant them access. You could then just click on a map within Fantasy Grounds and the application would send the API call to WOTC and retrieve the live response from WOTC about what's there now.

Yah i know, maybe a pipe dream and at very least years down the line, but would be super cool.

Blog Entries
    You could do Waterdeep with multiple others in a couple of ways. First though you would need a map. That map image would have to be sacrosanct since all the pin locations are going to be defined by pixel coordinates on that image.

From there you could go a couple of ways.

A) That master map could include a master story pin for each location. Then you could divide up or claim certain pins to work on. Maybe by district, pin number or something. Since the story IDs would be set, they could be renamed and cut and paste used to update the db.xml file to one master with everything included.
    B) Just divide up up the map (perhaps by district) and let each author create the pins and story entries as desired. When cutting and pasting into the master db.xml, you would have to account for renumbering object IDs (which would be necessary for all other object types with method A or B).
    c) Divide Waterdeep up into separate modules by author, probably by district. Then each part would stand-alone and could be released individually etc.

I'm big on setting out standards on such projects. I would recommend a story template be created for everyone to use that sets out a format for each location/story entry. Determine some sort of recommendation for encounters, battle maps, NPC CR's (like approximate CR distributions), treasure/wealth.

I would also suggest you talk to Dulux about getting a license to use his DOE Locations extension. It would add an incredible amount of detail and capability.

I think I've said elsewhere that I think the September product from WotC will be a Waterdeep module. If you are able to put together something of good quality that is complete (something WotC can't do in a published book), and put it up on the DMsGuild at the same time or earlier, you will have a very large following

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    You could do Waterdeep with multiple others in a couple of ways. First though you would need a map. That map image would have to be sacrosanct since all the pin locations are going to be defined by pixel coordinates on that image.

From there you could go a couple of ways.

A) That master map could include a master story pin for each location. Then you could divide up or claim certain pins to work on. Maybe by district, pin number or something. Since the story IDs would be set, they could be renamed and cut and paste used to update the db.xml file to one master with everything included.
    B) Just divide up up the map (perhaps by district) and let each author create the pins and story entries as desired. When cutting and pasting into the master db.xml, you would have to account for renumbering object IDs (which would be necessary for all other object types with method A or B).
    c) Divide Waterdeep up into separate modules by author, probably by district. Then each part would stand-alone and could be released individually etc.

I'm big on setting out standards on such projects. I would recommend a story template be created for everyone to use that sets out a format for each location/story entry. Determine some sort of recommendation for encounters, battle maps, NPC CR's (like approximate CR distributions), treasure/wealth.

I would also suggest you talk to Dulux about getting a license to use his DOE Locations extension. It would add an incredible amount of detail and capability.

I think I've said elsewhere that I think the September product from WotC will be a Waterdeep module. If you are able to put together something of good quality that is complete (something WotC can't do in a published book), and put it up on the DMsGuild at the same time or earlier, you will have a very large following
    My vote would be to do either A or B. If i'm running a Waterdeep campaign switching between modules isnt something id want to have to do.

But that said, if the September product IS indeed waterdeep id be concerned that if we put material together, it would be incorrect. Its been what... 100ish DR years since the last documented anything we have of waterdeep??

Regardless, im down to work on this in either A or B format if we can agree on module formatting/templates etc and are using previously published materials from 1st, 2nd and 3rd eds

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I think this is a great idea too!

Thread Information