FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    It happens. Main reason whenever I get a new player, I ask around a bit first. Usually looking around here and searching elsewhere can give me a clue about someone's reliability. I also avoid scheduling sessions unless I have two known factors showing up. I have also become much more cautious about inviting anyone known for no shows than I used to be. Can't afford to be optimistic when using your and other people's time.

Germany CET time zone [GMT+1/Summer GMT+2]
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hammer View Post
    It happens. Main reason whenever I get a new player, I ask around a bit first. Usually looking around here and searching elsewhere can give me a clue about someone's reliability. I also avoid scheduling sessions unless I have two known factors showing up. I have also become much more cautious about inviting anyone known for no shows than I used to be. Can't afford to be optimistic when using your and other people's time.
    Yes, that are true words if you ask me. This time I wanted to invite and especially allow newbies to enter the game. So then there is not much of history to check out and the only thing I would do then is trying to meet them if possible with voice to check out reliability.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    The One who walks the woods.
    [Ultimate licence]

.~~~~.
    i====i_
    |cccc|_)
    |cccc|
    `-==-'

Blog Entries
    its good to run games for noobs too - that is a big part of what FGCon and FGDaze are about - giving new players to the hobby and new players to FG a chance to get in on games.

Yes - and adventuring with noobs makes fun. I do not mind explaining a bit and FG is such a great software tool that it allows to play even with people who never used it before without stopping the flow of the game too much. I make such experience a lot and it feels like fun to me. Just finding the players who are really interested and who really show up is the most difficult part of it. Many just write yes and that's it.

Let me use this slot to promote the Fantasy Grounds College a bit where I am a prof since yesterday. Please check out classes there especially if you want to learn the game from scratch. Informational links are in my signature below. Hope to hearing you there soon!

Sorry, was not able to withstand the urge of advertising this a bit more
    [Ultimate licence]

.~~~~.
    i====i_
    |cccc|_)
    |cccc|
    `-==-'

I have started personally tracking names of people who sign up for my events and then don't show up. If they message me later to explain I remove the name. Then I use the list of people who have not shown up in the past to assign my alts for future signups. So if I get like 10 people signed up for a 7 player max event, the people on my list will we put as the alt spots, even if they signed up earlier.

Blog Entries
    Ultimately both players and GMs need to be respectful of each other, of the commitments being made and the effort invested and respectful also that the group will likely be made up of a disparate group of backgrounds, experiences, races, sexes, abilities etc. If GMs do the right thing and players do the right thing we will all get along just fine.

This is one of the reasons I am wary of running a game for / with strangers, aside from the technical issues (having to use Hamachi to connect with people you don't know, exposing your computer/network; the hassle of all the third party software) and needing extra time to get comfortable (shyness); and then when everything would be set and done you potentially face an empty 'table'.

It should be common sense / polite to at the very least message the GM and say you're sorry that you have to abandon ship. If there's a specific reason, mention it. I'd rather have "Sorry but I think your way of running the game sucked mule cavity" than getting silence. Or, "Sorry, I thought I could play on Fridays but this thing came up.." or "I regret saying yes to the game because I can't commit after all".. You know, whatever. By not replying, you leave the GM wondering if he/she did anything wrong, which is very unfair.

In all honesty I have done this crime myself once (the only time I have joined an FG game actually so my percentage isn't good at the moment). I was present the entire session, but when it ended I simply didn't return for the next session. Yes, shame. The next time I join a game I don't get the feels for, I endeavour to be honest and tell the GM why I have decided to not continue.

It took a while but I finally have a cohesive reliable group. All I ask of players is that they communicate. If they fail to do so, over and over, I have them leave the Facebook group I started for my players. The six players I have now, if they can't show up they let me know.

Usually a game has 4 players, but session 56 we had 6, it was an awesome session, lots of good roll playing and story. I also greatful that I could start a 1 on 1 game with one of my players that I met through this forum.

The ones that stick around I consider friends or very good accoinrances. The other day my node went out during a lightning storm and I was able to cancel a game. That sucked, but we had the next game!

I cancelled a game once. Now a days I stopped worrying about it, I will have a game with one, and maybe all six will show up!

These are the modules and extensions created and/or taken over by dellanx for PFRPG.

I had a lot of help and advice from many here at FG.

Thank You!

Blog Entries
    This type of topic comes up every 7-10 months or so. I don't know if that will ever change.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    This type of topic comes up every 7-10 months or so. I don't know if that will ever change.
    *lol* I bet it does not. Nevertheless it might help to get your soul relieved of anger it is carrying and then just go on and play a great game with FG
    [Ultimate licence]

.~~~~.
    i====i_
    |cccc|_)
    |cccc|
    `-==-'

Thread Information