FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    We will test it (within the next few days). What exactly do my players have to do to clear their caches?

There’s a nuke button on the right side of the Join Game screen in the launcher.

Regards,
    JPG

Oh okay. Thats quite straight forward.
    Ill keep you informed.

Okay, I just did some testing with one of my players.

1. First I switched off the LTE part of my connection. So all test were done using a normal DSL connection only.

2. The player cleared his cache and connected. The issue persisted. i.e. the players client downloaded the ruleset data, threw an error and (after answering the error message) crashed, thus causing a connection loss. We tried this several times and could reproduce the error every time.

3. We paid special attention to when the connection is lost. The connection stays up and running until the player acknowledges the error message, not earlier.

4. Whenever the player started his client again after a crash, he could connect normally. No data was downloaded in this case, instead the download part was skipped and the player could instantly access the character selection and was completely logged in to the campaign. The connection remained perfectly stable thereafter. This behaviour was reproducable as well.

5. The player tried running his FG client both as an admin as well as normal user. There was no change in system behaviour and the error still persisted.

From those test I conclude the following:

There is no problem in the connection! Establishing a connection and maintaining it always worked flawlessly. Disconnect didn't occur as a reaction to the error message itself, but as a reaction to FG crashing after acknowledgement of the error message. In other words: The error was not a result of a disconnect, but the disconnect was a result of the error (and subsequent crash of FG).

Although the error message might be understood differently the data actually is transferred correctly in the first run. In the second run (after the crash) there is no new download initiated. That means the clients FG has to have all necessary data when connecting for the second time. Ergo the download during the first connect had to be successful.

From that all I come to the conclusion that it's neither a problem with the connection, nor with the transfer of the data but with the client working with the received data. The clients FG obviously crashes with an error after it completed a correct download and while "ingesting" the data it just received.

It might be, that there is something wrong with the data, but the rulesets just got downloaded from my FG a few days before. And we already used that data playing for some hours. Without even the slightest perceivable issues.

Don't get me wrong (may be I'm just overlooking something). I'm not saying it absolutely must be an error in the client FG, but according to my observations, that's the only thing which would explain the issue. This doesn't explain, of course, why no-one else seems to have that same problem.

It's just weird. Maybe I should get some Savage-Worlds dice an try a guts-check ?

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by DWeiers; October 23rd, 2017 at 21:31.

Do you have another computer you can install FG on and run it on your local network only? See if the crash occurs.

If you don't have another computer, launch a second instance of FG on the same computer as the GM instance and "Join Game" with a server address of localhost
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Are the clients all using the correct version?

Blog Entries
    Yeah Id be looking at testing with another computer on the same LAN.
    Also testing in a brand new campaign without any thing shared.

Okay. Thanks for the suggestions.

We already tried with a new campaign. But it was the same result.

Testing on the same LAN is a thing I‘ll test this evening. I only have a full license though. Can I log into a game hosted by another Computer if both are using the same license?

The clients update automatically, dont they? My FG always updated automatically when I launched it. Since my players only recently installed their FG I‘m sure they use the latest version.

Quote Originally Posted by DWeiers View Post
    Testing on the same LAN is a thing I‘ll test this evening. I only have a full license though. Can I log into a game hosted by another Computer if both are using the same license?
    You'll need to remove the license and run as demo for the test player connection. You can connect a single demo license as the only player to a full license and run in a 1-on-1 mode (no other players, demo or full can connect in this mode).

Quote Originally Posted by DWeiers View Post
    The clients update automatically, dont they? My FG always updated automatically when I launched it. Since my players only recently installed their FG I‘m sure they use the latest version.
    It's not automatic, you need to press the update button.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information