STAR TREK 2d20
Page 25 of 25 First ... 15232425

Thread: NPC Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    I've noticed that some of my documents use "Armour" instead of "Armor" which seems to break the pattern matching. Is that something that can be accounted for?
    mattekure - where in the statblock are you talking about? There's already a catch for "Armour Class: ". I added in catches for different capitalisation just in case. Or do you mean elsewhere in the statblock? If so, can you give me an example?

Maasq
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Download the latest version from the website.
    Support me by becoming a patron on Patreon.

Chat directly about issues or suggest features on the
    Discord channel.
    Post issues on the issue tracker on Github.

Hi folks

Another update, taking us to version 1.2.4 - this might be the final version for now as I think I have caught all the bugs and made all the requested changes!

UPDATED: Saving throws now have a checkbox after them. This can be used to force the value '+0' to display (as 0 is taken to mean 'not required to be shown' by default). This will affect very few monster builds, but an example of it can be found in the Monster Manual's Zombie.
    FIXED: While looking at how to implement the above, I noticed that negative saves were displaying wrongly. I had stern words with them and they promise to display correctly in the future.

On to Spell Engineer now. It's time it had an import part to it.

Let me know if I have missed anything, or you want to see something added!

Maasq
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Discord channel.

Hey Maasq,

NPC Engineer is a very nice tool! Thank you for taking the time to develop and share it. I recently started to use it, and appreciate the time it saves me.

Since you're taking feature requests, here is what I would recommend:

1. An option to NOT have the Esc key close NPC Engineer. I have closed it so many times now w/o saving... It's a habit I have from other programs (like Excel) when I don't want to make the change to the field my cursor is currently in.

2. Calculation Fields. Calculate Saves, Skills, and Passive Perception rather than have them static values. It would be great when creating new creatures or converting a weaker creature to a stronger form. It would allow us to change an Ability score or the Challenge Level, and it would automatically update the Skills and Saves. From what I've seen, every creature follows the same Save and Skill rules. Save or Skill = Ability Score mod + Prof mod [+ Prof mod again in some cases, in which case it has Expertise in that Skill]. It would be easy to reverse engineer them when importing. Have a Miscellaneous Modifier field just in case, of course.

Other calculations options are: Action Attack and Damage mods, Spell Save DC and Attack mod, etc. But those are slightly more complicated as you don't sometimes know which Ability Score they use to calculate them. They can normally be figured out, but would take a lot of complicated code that makes a lot of assumptions.

3. Allow larger values than 200 in Senses Range fields. Tiamat has Darkvision 240', but 200 is the max it will allow.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Hey there! Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
    1. An option to NOT have the Esc key close NPC Engineer.
    I didn't know that it did! I will sort that out for the next update.

2. Calculation Fields. Calculate Saves, Skills, and Passive Perception rather than have them static values.
    It was a design choice right from the start not to calculate fields. My feeling was that any tool I used always had a quirk that either forced you into a particular order of working, or overwrote your entered values gleefully. I didn't want NPCE to do this to people. If there's an area that you think every NPC follows a set of cast-iron rules, then PM me a set of these rules and a link to something official that says 'this is the way it should be done'. I'm happy to introduce items, but if there are any situations where the rules can be broken or bent, the feature is pointless.

I have introduced calculated fields in some instances (passive Perception being one of them, funnily enough!) where the rules are rock solid and people are unlikely to overwrite values they typed in. The other two obvious ones are the XP/CR link and the Hit Points box (undocumented feature - double-click in the HP box to get a small dialogue to help you enter HD etc). A final undocumented feature - double clicking on the 'saving throws' title will transfer ability score bonuses over to saving throws.

Skills - I think I will return to skills at some point. I'm still mulling over ideas about the GUI there.

3. Allow larger values than 200 in Senses Range fields. Tiamat has Darkvision 240', but 200 is the max it will allow.
    No problem; I'll change this for the next update.

Cheers for the suggestions!
    Maasq
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Maasq View Post
    It was a design choice right from the start not to calculate fields. My feeling was that any tool I used always had a quirk that either forced you into a particular order of working, or overwrote your entered values gleefully. I didn't want NPCE to do this to people. If there's an area that you think every NPC follows a set of cast-iron rules, then PM me a set of these rules and a link to something official that says 'this is the way it should be done'. I'm happy to introduce items, but if there are any situations where the rules can be broken or bent, the feature is pointless.
    Thanks for the rationale. I'm disappointed in your choice, but I can accept it.

I don't know of any official sources saying 'this is how we calculate saves and skills for NPCs'. Experience from my Roll20 days has taught me the system they use because I had to manually enter dozens of monsters back before they had a Monster Manual available. In fact, when you see Errata on NPC saves and skills, from what I've seen it's always to correct them to be 'properly' calculated.

PS If you ever change your mind, let me know. I can help w/ the logic. I've done some programming in my days.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

New version release: v1.2.6. This is a tiny update to correct the two issues highlighted above. Escape will no longer close NPCE (or any of it dialogues), and the maximum values for senses have been increased.

Spell Engineer has also had an update... go get it!

Maasq
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Important Update:

NPC Engineer is no longer being developed separately as a standalone program. It has grown and encompassed other modules and is now known as The Engineer Suite. See the thread for this here.
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Thread Information