5E Character Create Playlist
Page 23 of 25 First ... 132122232425 Last

Thread: NPC Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Hi irrsprite, welcome to FG.

I’m guessing but it looks like a permissions issue. Possibly you don’t have full read/write permission to the folder that the program is saving to. Also if whatever Avira is interfered with the program it may be that is still an issue even if you uninstalled it.
    Quote Originally Posted by epithet View Post
    Try launching the installer by right clicking and selecting "run as administrator."
    Thanks for the welcome! Also, unfortunately, running as administrator is a dealbreaker for me. Avira is antivirus software that admittedly does get some false positives sometimes. I know that iut quarantined the program previously, but I removed all resources, so it should be a clean install. Ah well.

Blog Entries
    There are not many good reasons to run something as Administrator other than for confirming permissions issues.
    Either Avira is blocking access to the file or your account doesnt have the required permissions to modify files in that directory.
    Either way you will need to investigate those to see if you can find the answer.

Hiya. I'll set up a new account on my system as a non-admin account and see if I can reproduce the error tonight.

NPC Engineer 'phones home' at launch to see if there is an updated version and this might be why the AV's heuristics flag it as dodgy. I just use Windows own security these days and it has no issues, and I used Eset before that also with no issues.
    Installation... you say you installed the first time and then uninstalled? Or did I misunderstand? If so, go to the directory mentioned and delete it by hand. Something interfered with the uninstall.
    The installer is... can't remember it's name right now but is the premier free installer (used by probably half the things anyone installs). So the install and uninstall routines should be close to bulletproof.

As I say, I'll do some research tonight.

Massq
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Download the latest version from the website.
    Support me by becoming a patron on Patreon.

Chat directly about issues or suggest features on the
    Discord channel.
    Post issues on the issue tracker on Github.

Well... I installed NPC Engineer on a standard user account (my kid's!) with no issue whatsoever - I can't reproduce the issue. The installer is Inno Setup, in case that makes any difference to your issue.

Did you uninstall using the control panel? And have you gone to Program Files (x86)\NPC Engineer and deleted the entire NPC Engineer folder?
    If you've done both of those, I am stumped, I am afraid.

Sorry I can't offer any deeper help here

Maasq
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Discord channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Maasq View Post
    Well... I installed NPC Engineer on a standard user account (my kid's!) with no issue whatsoever - I can't reproduce the issue. The installer is Inno Setup, in case that makes any difference to your issue.

Did you uninstall using the control panel? And have you gone to Program Files (x86)\NPC Engineer and deleted the entire NPC Engineer folder?
    If you've done both of those, I am stumped, I am afraid.

Sorry I can't offer any deeper help here

Maasq
    Hey, thanks so much for giving it a shot! I really appreciate the effort you've put into such a cool project.

And yep- I performed both those steps. There must be something I'm missing- maybe some bizarre registry weirdness or permissions weirdness imposed by my Avira AV. I might take another whack at it when I'm back from vacation, but your attempt at reproducing it at least gives me hope that I might be able to pull it off if I can narrow down the cause.

Thanks again!

Good day!

Having issues with the language area. I can put Common, Aquan and NPCE will parse just fine. But if I put Any one language there, that text doesn't show up next to languages. Any way I can get around this?

GBFF
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (EDT) United States; GMT -4 hours

Game in Progress: AD&D 2e - Against the Zhentarim

Quote Originally Posted by GunbunnyFuFu View Post
    Good day!

Having issues with the language area. I can put Common, Aquan and NPCE will parse just fine. But if I put Any one language there, that text doesn't show up next to languages. Any way I can get around this?

GBFF
    Hiya

I'm not sure what you mean. I tried a couple of things and can't reproduce what you are describing.
    If I select a single language, it shows up fine in the right hand pane.
    If I type "Any one language" in the "Alternative language text:" box, it shows up as expected in the right hand pane.

Do you mean one of these, or something else?

Maasq
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Disregard...I totally missed the Alternative language text: box...problem solved!

GBFF
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (EDT) United States; GMT -4 hours

Game in Progress: AD&D 2e - Against the Zhentarim

Excellent
    While I was checking this I noticed that the text overlaps the text box. So win-win ... you got what you needed and snagged a minor bug too!

Maasq
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Thread Information