5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

New Player Questions

Hello, new to the VTT, Last played when D&D 2nd edition..! My we have we came a long way since then..! My real name is David, and I currently hail from Florida in the Emerald Coast aka hurricane alley.. I have loved this game for many years and would now like to enjoy it again and make some friends..

I have checked out a few videos from digital dungeon master and CoreRPG and so far I am understanding some of the bare basics but Im not quite sure of a few things.. what to get once I get a FG license.. The complete core class pack? Do I need a certain kind of adventure pack? Is there one that's played more often? Tokens are a new concept for me as well.. I don't want to purchase stuff I don't need to play or purchase items that no one is playing.. but am willing to invest money to have a good experience with like minded gamers..

I think I prefer D&D 5E game play but that could be just because that's what I maybe most familiar with.. I am looking to play with pretty much any style of rule sets but I would like to find a group or someone to get me going in the right direction.

So if I used the template given in the Looking for games forum this is what it would be..

LFG,
    FG -Full license
    Time Zone: Central
    Weekend play is best but can sometimes do a weekday
    Voice and video chat available
    D&D 5e or pathfinder
    Character type preferred: human
    About me: I come from 2nd edition world and I never DM'ed but it was always battle heavy and lots of role play, fast play, somewhat serious, I keep my appointments and always on time.. prefer to pay with 18 or older and would love to grow a character and watch him evolve over time.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Hendra, and Welcome! to the Community,

First of all: purchases. You don't really need to purchase anything (apart from an FG license - and even then, maybe not) if you are a player. If you are a GM, then again, you don't really need to purchase anything. However, like with real-life (RL) gaming, the GM has an easier time if they use published adventures, have all the source books, etc - because it all helps.

FG comes with the basic rules, etc for 5E, plus a few generic tokens (think RL "miniatures"), etc - and you can enter in everything else manually (adventures, monsters, etc, etc, etc).

A generic-style answer, yes, and someone else will be along shortly with more detail, but really I'd say play a few games first and you'll work out what YOU want and need and can't do without

And, if you haven't done so already (but I think you said you might have), let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few - and a Shameless™ Self Plug).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    Welcome! You are most definitely in the right place.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Hey thank you dulux-oz!! love a warm welcome.. My full name will be Hendra Tok..

I see your good points.. however I dont need anything for character creation other than FG? So a token is your visual representation of your character on the board I'm gathering but FG only has a few classes to begin with?... Im watching a few more videos now..

Hello JohnD!.. tell me more about Castles and Crusades..

Blog Entries
    OSR style ruleset. Old adventures convert 90%+ without much if any changes. It doesn't have the might of WotC pushing it though so not many people have found out about it.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Hi Hendra, and Welcome! to the Community,

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.
    And stay off my lawn!

I see, then I'm game for sure JohnD!

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Righ View Post
    And stay off my lawn!
    Ha... you in California or something? but sure no problem..

Thread Information