5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12

5E doesn't have buttons for attack and damage. They are text / dice fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    5E doesn't have buttons for attack and damage. They are text / dice fields.
    That's just trying to be disingenuous. They're boxes, that cannot be edited without going into the settings, that can be dragged, or double clicked on. https://puu.sh/xZOcW/988e875cdf.jpg

And they look a hell of a lot like buttons, especially to the general users of this program. You know, the ones that should be able to understand how to use it without having to worry about whether that button is a button, or a text/dice field that behaves differently to the spells/powers sections that it shares a space with.

Edit: I have yet to have a player ask me if he should press the attack text/dice field. Every time without fail, it's "the attack button". That's the stem of the confusion. There is things that look like they should operate like other things, but don't. This is what people mean when they say FG has a confusing interface.
    Last edited by spite; October 16th, 2017 at 23:01.

Buttons appear raised. See the "Death Saves" on the main tab for an example of a button.

You can tell the difference between a text field and a button by looking at the mouse pointer. If it shows a hand, it's a text field and must be double clicked. If it shows an arrow point, it's a button and just needs a single click.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    Buttons appear raised. See the "Death Saves" on the main tab for an example of a button.

You can tell the difference between a text field and a button by looking at the mouse pointer. If it shows a hand, it's a text field and must be double clicked. If it shows an arrow point, it's a button and just needs a single click.
    Cool. So now everyone who buys this program can come search the forums and click on the thread that says "Click/Dble Clik and more" to find that pertinent piece of user information.

I'm well aware which ones are buttons, and which are not. Which requires two clicks and which require one. But this was not because it was obvious, or information readily available. It was from trial and error and "oh, why's it like that? That's dumb".

Do you see what I am getting at? The UI is not intuitive. Smiteworks are not meant to be selling a product to people who understand the pointer head, and whether or not that button is a text field or not. They're not even selling the product to me. I've already bought it. It's meant to be understandable at face value. So free players who get into a game want to try it out, not come away going "Oh, well the interface is archaic and clunky and behaves weirdly, I'll stick to Roll20 thanks."

spite,

You are correct. In the end, it comes down to the fact that standardizing and refining the UI is not at the top of the priorities at the moment. I agree that it should be refined, and I have that sort of general UI refinement on my internal list of things I'd like to get to. However, it's scattered across many rulesets, so not a trivial fix.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information