DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Localizations

@Dulux
    Well thats the interesting point - to what extent is SW entitled to release "official" WotC Products - And those of GF 9 - from the 5e Product line. If its a general licence, or if they count as an distributor, they would be allowed to do that, for a certain price and pay WotC their share. No Problem there, at least on the Copyright front. That i have no right to distribute translated versions of WotC Material for free and without asking the Authors is perfectly clear and isnt even what i had asked for in the first place. I just wanted to inspire the thought of releasing not just the Paperback versions of the Translation but also the VTT conversions of said translations. The workload for people with access to source materials would be so far less at these projects.
    Last edited by Guenni1985; October 14th, 2017 at 15:35. Reason: typo or loss of Brain

@Guenni
    No I know that's not what you had in mind - I was just expressing those thoughts for everyone who was/is reading this thread: a reminder to everyone that these things need to be taken into account as well

You would be surprised how often the topic comes up and people need to have things clarified for them.

As to what type of licensing arrangement SW has with WotC or any of the other publishers/copyright holders - we'll have to ask Doug about that, because I don't know

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Germany CET time zone [GMT+1/Summer GMT+2]
    Thats fine and understandable. Being conservative with copyright is the best thing you can do if you ask me. Quite dangerous otherwise. And I also think that people who invented "good stuff" should get their share in any case.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    The One who walks the woods.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    [Ultimate licence]

.~~~~.
    i====i_
    |cccc|_)
    |cccc|
    `-==-'

Blog Entries
    One of the challenges I think could happen with a transated language version of 5e is that there is a lot of very specific wording that the ruleset looks for to do specific things. So it would mean that 5e German would probably need its own complete ruleset and rulebooks. So its not just the source book conversions but also ruleset conversions in some intricate detail - and then multiplied out to French and Spanish etc...

I dont know enough about ruleset coding to disagree with you on that point , but is FG working with the shown text or some underlying code. Also are there really that many references to sensitive words? Is it really that hard to substitute certain English Words or Phrases in the ruleset with German words or phrases. eg. if in english the reference is "to hit", couldnt u basicly search your source code for "to hit" and replace it with "Trefferwürfel" or whatever the german version of it may be?
    I thought that the Rulesets are lua coded, so they should basicly be Texts and easily editable. But i might be wrong on that point, and the lua files i had were just exceptions, so just correct me if i am.

Okay, im going to continue working on my own CoS translation without loosing my mind over the online translated story parcels. Hail to thee of might and valor ----> Hagel auf die starken und tapferen . Its a pain in the ...

Thread Information