Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Localizations

Localizations

I just read that WotC is releasing its 5e Products now localized in different Languages. So is there a Chance that these Versions will be available on FG as well?
    Writing them myself seems to be to much work, at least if u have neither time nor the needed skills. Getting Fan made Modules on the other Hand should be problematic due to Copyright .
    Since FG is a licenced Distributor already and probably has the tools and the skills to do the work way faster i thought about asking here.

Regards
    Dominik

Blog Entries
    Im guessing that it might depend on a few factors including whether the FG license extends to translations, whether the perceived market is big enough, whether FG has anyone with the ability to do the conversions in other languages etc. What language are you most interested in?

Germany CET time zone [GMT+1/Summer GMT+2]
    Quote Originally Posted by Guenni1985 View Post
    I just read that WotC is releasing its 5e Products now localized in different Languages. So is there a Chance that these Versions will be available on FG as well?
    Writing them myself seems to be to much work, at least if u have neither time nor the needed skills. Getting Fan made Modules on the other Hand should be problematic due to Copyright .
    Since FG is a licenced Distributor already and probably has the tools and the skills to do the work way faster i thought about asking here.

Regards
    Dominik
    Welome on the FG forum Guenni1985!
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    The One who walks the woods.
    [Ultimate licence]

.~~~~.
    i====i_
    |cccc|_)
    |cccc|
    `-==-'

I would be interested and available for creating German modules if someone asked me to do it (for no charge of course). But I do not have a big library of German modules - actually most of my modules have the English language.

I would very much like the idea to play in German language. Today I mostly do "on the fly translation" for German groups when I DM the games.
    [Ultimate licence]

.~~~~.
    i====i_
    |cccc|_)
    |cccc|
    `-==-'

I'll just point out that there is a Community project to do translations of FG into different langi=uages - check out the LPak Project if you're interested.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    I'll just point out that there is a Community project to do translations of FG into different langi=uages - check out the LPak Project if you're interested.
    OK - thanks. Just flew over it when I registered here. I will read this more thoroughly though.
    [Ultimate licence]

.~~~~.
    i====i_
    |cccc|_)
    |cccc|
    `-==-'

Thanks for the replies
    As Waldbaer im interested in a German conversion .

Although i myself can understand the rules in English and i can play dnd in English ( or in my group, Denglish ). Some of my players cant, or have a harder time with it.
    Since im using FG even at the table as a character archive and a map tool for tactical situation and as a rulebook for the players to look at, it would be neat for them to understand its content.
    (And for me, not having to translate every other sentence)

As far as i understand it, the Rulebooks are already translated and for sale. The Page Numbers and text layout should be the same too.
    I thought, to make another module for these might not be that hard.
    Since i dont have access to the source material from Gale Force Nine (as a pdf or better yet a LateX project) i just cant copy & paste the text sections and the tables inside the players handbook.
    So even if i buy the Hardcover (at 50€ its not that cheap) I basicly have to write the Whole thing into FG and place the right links and so on. Like i said - to much money, to much work - atleast for me.

Id be happy to pay for the conversion, as in to buy a new module, for a sensible amount of money.

Additionally i thought the Lpak project is focusing more on the UI and basic rules then on Adventure Modules (CoS, SKT, etc) and the Rulebooks (Players Handbook, Monster Manual, DMG).

Quote Originally Posted by Guenni1985 View Post
    Additionally i thought the Lpak project is focusing more on the UI and basic rules then on Adventure Modules (CoS, SKT, etc) and the Rulebooks (Players Handbook, Monster Manual, DMG).
    I have now read the post/thread completely and I would support the oppinion Guenni1985 stated. Is this the intention dulux-oz? Or are there ideas to also offer translated "rulebooks" like the PHB, DMG, MM, etc. Also adventure modules would be a great thing to work on...or is this "private fun" only due to copyright issues?
    [Ultimate licence]

.~~~~.
    i====i_
    |cccc|_)
    |cccc|
    `-==-'

I mean one would have to take steps that no one gets modules in whatever language if he never bought it...and things like that.
    [Ultimate licence]

.~~~~.
    i====i_
    |cccc|_)
    |cccc|
    `-==-'

At the moment the LPak Project is concentrating on the fundamentals/foundations (ie the Rulesets, etc) - once they've been sorted we would need to confer with the relevant copyright holders on what they would allow us to do.

Don't forget, even with Guenni's idea there are copyright issues - if money changes hands anywhere in the process then the copyright holder will probably want their cut - if they allow it at all. Even if you translate something yourself you can't give it away to others because copyright doesn't allow you too (not without permission) - and SmiteWorks and the FG Community are pretty conservative about mucking about with copyrighted stuff.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Thread Information