5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

The Chat Window and die rolls...

I am a very raw FG user, but I am trying to learn!

I am using the FG 5e set with PHB and DMG purchases, if that matters with the following question at all...

Can I divorce die rolls from the chat window?

In other words, can I roll dice and have the rolls, results, and all show up somewhere other than the chat window...OR...can I post story text, descriptions, NPC conversations and the like away from the die roll results? OR can I just make a second window for dice or chatting only?

Hi Sean, welcome to FG.

You might be able to do what you want with some kind of extension, but there is no option to not show dice rolls in the chat window (you do have options to not show certain results to the players).

Why is it important to separate these things?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Do be aware, you can roll the dice outside of the chat window just by picking them up and throwing them, but the results won't be reported anywhere.

Without an extension, you can only have one chat window. But there are GM options to not show certain types of rolls (as Mr Z mentioned). Also, you can share story entries without putting them in the chat window.

Again, as Mr Z requests, let us know what you are trying to accomplish (not how you are trying to accomplish it) and we can probably come up with some better suggestions

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Gotcha...

Okay, what I am looking for is for dice rolls to not bump story and RP text. I don't really care about the rolls being seen. I don't want the important stuff to get shoved out of the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSean View Post
    Gotcha...

Okay, what I am looking for is for dice rolls to not bump story and RP text. I don't really care about the rolls being seen. I don't want the important stuff to get shoved out of the way.
    Ah, I can see that. Not that I know of
    Maybe one of the other guys/gals will have some ideas.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Only way is to roll on desktop. But it does not record these rolls, if you want to save them, you'll have to note them manually.

An extension could record them to a story entry but keeping the context would be hard.

Blog Entries
    Im not aware of you being able to code a second chat window - this is (AFAIK) part of the engine and not the ruleset.
    I dont believe you can achieve what GMSean wants...
    There is a chatlog scruber which Im sure could be expanded to do more than what it currently does but this is for post game use not in game use.

I have looked very little into this, mostly in the 5e ruleset and in a 'blank' ruleset that Dulux and I decided to come up with a while back as an experiment. But, here's what I believe on the subject.

The chat window is part of the ruleset. It is a control called 'chatwindow' which the API looks for and thus must be declared for message processing. It, however, does not need to be displayed. The blank ruleset that I have does not display anything but the radial menu and generates no errors. There are also events that fire whenever a dice are rolled or a message is received (though some messages from code don't trigger this). That means it should be possible, with a lot of work, to intercept most of the input to the chat window and manually recreate it in another control or multiple controls.

Not worth the effort of trying to modify the 5e ruleset to do, but it is in theory possible.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

I do appreciate all of the thoughts on this, however!

Yeah, so to be clear:

I want die rolls and the chat window to be separate. NOT so I can hide rolls or not have them recorded or trigger events. I want them separate so I can leave story information up and visible and available while die rolls scroll their own numbers on by, not the valuable descriptions, reactions, and PC interactions. Does that make sense? I don't like that its a shared space because the details both provide are important, but one should not be making the other difficult to track. I shouldn't have to find what the fuzzy shub'niggurath just said to my gnome artificer amidst a dozen madness saves. I shouldn't have to find my gnome's "Please Don't Eat Me" roll amidst all the PC OOC laughter responses to the joke just made...etc.

Regardless, however, I do want to say: Thank you for all of the thoughts, consideration, and evaluations! I genuinely appreciate it. Good community to belong to. Thank you
    Last edited by GMSean; October 9th, 2017 at 15:44. Reason: Had more to say!

Thread Information