DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Barbarians of Lemuria

Anyone have an opinion on the quality of the BoL ruleset in the store? Is it updated enough to be playable as is? Thinking about buying it and running it for a 1-on-1 game.

- Prof.Dogg

Blog Entries
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evKsEpgrg6w
    Hi ProfDogg - the BoL game is reasonably rules lite - though it does have plenty of exceptions. The FG ruleset contains a full reference manual, ruleset and the basic adventures included in the kickstarter.
    Somewhere on here there is a review that was not great. I think all the issues highlighted in that review were addressed. It is not a 5e quality ruleset but it does support BoL quite well in my opinion.

Good to know... I'm a fan of the rules and the setting --- most of my fantasy games are more Sword & Sorcery than high fantasy. I need to put my regular campaigns (Savage Worlds and 5e) on hold while life settles out for some of my players. So I'm throwing together a new "quick" game for those who are able to play and instead of going through lengthy character creation or coming up with pre-gens that nobody particularly wants to play with any of the other systems, I thought I might use this one instead. That way the players make their own characters and the learning curve is ridiculously easy.

-Prof.Dogg

Thanks (as always)!

That tutorial though is about the most complete one I've seen yet. Any clunkiness seems like it would stem from the GM's lack of familiarity with the system rather than the actual FG set. I actually prefer the option to keep automatic functions form being fully implemented until the GM has a chance to approve everything. There's always some rule or ability that can change the results of a die and then you have to go back afterward and manually fix whatever happens. It seems like this set requires GM approval through each step but that should be quick to resolve if the GM knows the rules well enough.

Time to experiment on my poor unsuspecting players...

-Prof.Dogg

Already got a question:

In the NPC's blocks, how do you mark Villains and Toughs? Rabble has a check-box but the other options don't.

-Prof.Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    This done by assigning them Villain Points.
    Oh, I see that now. I have one NPC who is a Villain but didn't have any listed VP. I gave him a VP and he climbed the Priority chart. Much obliged...

-Prof.Dogg

I wrote the not that great review. As I understand it, issues which I brought up were addressed. I think that if you're into BoL, you're going to be fine with the level the ruleset is at, certainly after the changes.

For oneshot system experimentation, at the time that the review was written, it was lacking.

BoL is a cool system. The ruleset supports it. I'd say have at it.
    Corwynn Maelstrom (a.k.a. Mathew)
    Ultimate License
    Presently developing an unannounced RPG

Gaming since '80 (starting with Holmes D&D)—hardened veteran...get off my lawn!

Thread Information