STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Blog Entries
    Hello eebow421, we are sorry to hear of your frustrating start. There are indeed a few extra hurdles in place for Mac users, but with a few adjustment we believe that you can experience much the same thing as the Windows platform users. For instance, all DLC will work on the Mac and cross-play between Mac and PC users is fully supported. Please see the post below with some additional tips to adjust to using Fantasy Grounds on the Mac.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/25269...9820884543295/

eebow421, I run it on a Mac with High Sierra and it runs very well. I have 5 players that are on PCs that connect to me and I haven’t had any problems. I am using the installer from the web site and it was easy to get it up and running, though I can’t comment on the Steam version.

I'm not entirely sure that this is the best place to post this question, but I'm planning on purchasing FG and I'm on a Mac, is the preferred method of download through STEAM or to directly download it to my computer. What advantages or disadvantages does STEAM offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantismom View Post
    I'm not entirely sure that this is the best place to post this question, but I'm planning on purchasing FG and I'm on a Mac, is the preferred method of download through STEAM or to directly download it to my computer. What advantages or disadvantages does STEAM offer?
    Welcome to the forums!

The Steam install is similar to the download from the website - but the recommendation is to use the download from the FG as it's a little more up to date in terms of the Wine wrapper used - the end FG version will be exactly the same whichever installer you use. There's really no difference with buying from Steam or the FG store - you actually get to be able to use both as license Keys are synced between FG and Steam. The main potential advantage with purchasing from Steam is that you may get a better regional pricing if you're not in the USA. Other than that, I'd recommend purchasing from the FG store - more revenue goes to the FG developers.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I use Fantasy Grounds on both the Mac and PC. The only real difference that I find is for local table top gaming, on the Mac you can only run one copy so you cannot join to yourself to display player maps. I have no issues with Wine including since I upgraded to Mojave.

The other comment I would make is that if you want to add sounds from Syrinscape, you really need to be on the PC version (otherwise it is all manual). This is a limitation of Syrinscape not Fantasy Grounds. If you own a copy of Windows (not the OEM version that comes with a PC), you can install it with a program like Virtual Box on your Mac and then have Fantasy Grounds in the environment you need at the time (note: if you are hosting make sure you use a bridged virtual network adapter to have the virtual machine have an independent IP address or users will not be able to connect).

Hi, hope this is the right place for my question. The day before yesterday I had FG stop opening for me. I uninstalled it and reinstalled and last night it worked fine. Today it's not opening again. I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6. Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct 3D is unchecked, and I tried checking "Use Mac Driver instead of X11" and that changed nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

I had something very similar happen to me, and I discovered that the OS's security had quarantined the app for some reason. The following Terminal command removed it from quarantine, and I was able to open it again:

Code:
    xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /path-to-Fantasy-Grounds
    where you would replace the /path-toFantasy-Grounds with wherever you've installed it. Probably something like:

Code:
    xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Fantasy\ Grounds.app

Thread Information